Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Still Brings Tears

While in Nigeria this last year, there were so many things that took place. What I saw at times shocked me. I realized how easy we have things and how sheltered we are from real difficulites of others in this world. The thousands of people that lined the streets all day, even along roadsides out in the country. People with limbs missing and leperous. Children running up to your car wanting a hand out that would break your heart. Others would open your door, cleaning the windows looking for a handout. People selling chickens, snakes and all sorts of fruits/nuts to eat. (You had to be cautious about buying something because so much was contaminated.) I took showers and had to be very careful of not getting the water into my mouth or eyes because it too was contaminated. I went to a Nigerian hospital with malaria and saw the filth they work in. We know so little of such things here.
To this day, there is one thing have not been able to speak about. While speaking at the lectureship in Jos, Nigeria, there were about 200 preachers from across Africa that came to the lectureship. It was wonderful to see dedicated men, so willing to preach in such a hostile enviroment. One preacher really caught my attention. His name was Benjamin. He was a man in his late 20's. He wanted to meet with me the last day of the lectureship. As we met outside and began to speak, he was headed back to northern Nigeria to his home where he preaches. He had a couple of new scars on his face that I noticed. He was preaching in the middle of Muslim territory and was one of the first and only preachers to be able to make headway in the area. He thanked me for the classes I taught and the lessons I brought each night. He had a great confidence and faith in the Lord. He hugged my neck, kissed my cheek with tears of gratitude flowing down his face and then said he had a two days journey to return home. Then he said, "Please keep me in your prayers. I know that I can be killed upon my return home as I am hated by the Muslim's in the area." The scars were from a beating he had received recently from some Muslims for teaching about our Lord and Savior. As he walked up the hill, he turned, waved at me with a big smile and pointed to keep looking up. My heart filled with happiness and sorrow. His dedication and zeal were refreshing. I realized this young preacher in his cause for Christ would probably have a short life. I thought of Paul's meeting with the elders from Ephesus for the last time. It made me think if I could do that and I knew the answer. It caused me to do some serious soul searching.
Since returning, I received an e-mail from one of the preachers at the school of Biblical studies in Jos. This young was killed two months after returning home. It is difficult to speak about and I have said very little, even to my own family. A man dedicated to the cause of Christ. I met so many that really loved the Lord and their dedication in a hostile nation was encouraging. But there is not a day that has gone by, that some time during that day, my mind still sees this young man so committed to spreading the good news, waving, smiling, tears flowing and pointing to keep looking up and it still brings tears to my eyes.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

My gut reaction was to tell you I'm sorry, and I am, for the loss of a new friend. But on the other hand, it sounds like he accomplished a lot here on earth, under VERY difficult circumstances, and is now at rest with the Father.