Monday, March 10, 2008

Guilt!

People are good at trying to manipulate people with guilt. Guilt is a powerful tool and is needed when people are in sin. But more and more are using guilt on others to get their wants and ways. I do not allow others to use their guilt on me!

I receive numerous e-mail forwards. Some I really enjoy, some I delete. What is unique about some I receive are those that are religious in nature. Some "mood" music set in the background along side some story tied back to Jesus. Then at the end it goes something like this: "If you love your Lord, then send this e-mail to 10 people you really care about!" There are variations of the ending, but most 'challenge' ones care or love for the Lord and others.

My mind goes back to the cross, when insults were being hurled at Jesus. "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" (Luke 23:37) "Are you not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" (Luke 23:39) "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One!" (Luke 23:35) "If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross!" (Matt. 27:40) Not once did Jesus have to respond to prove anything. He was not going to allow anyone to manipulate Him with insults or guilt to prove anything. His proof was doing the will of the Father and let the Father determine all things.

What about us? I do not need to forward an e-mail to someone to prove I love the Lord or care about others. If I must prove my care and concern for others by returning an e-mail, there is something terribly wrong. My love for the Lord is seen in my actions toward His name. To do things for Him is not to prove anything to anyone else. It is to do His will and learn how to please Him in all respects (Col. 1:9-12). If there is no condemnation in Christ, (and there isn't - Rom. 8:1), then why do people use guilt to get a response?

1 comment:

Tawn said...

Well said, well said!!