Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Pain, Oh the Pain!

I am in the middle of remodeling the house. I have taken down all the wall board in the house to replace it with new dry wall, new tape and mud, putting in more insulation. I took a complete wall out between the living room and dining room and put up a beam as it is a load bearing wall. I have taken up all the carpet and put down hardwood floors in the kitchen, dining room and living room. I am replacing all the interior doors with new ones, putting up crown molding and new base board throughout. My son is building in a cabinet in the end of the living room for all the electronic components. This has been a major undertaking and my dear wife has lived with a mess for two months now. I can finally see the end and I know she is rejoicing.
What I have learned is two things: (1) I am very thankful for my three sons for the great help they have been in all this. I could not of done any of this without their help. It is so wonderful that my children live in Jefferson City, something I would of never dreamed of but have a very deep sense of gratitude. I think it would kill me now if they left! (2) I am too old to get up and down like I use to. After a day on my knees, pulling, pushing and stabilizing hardwood flooring, I get up, standing like a 90 year old man, trying to stretch my back out, my knees ache (even with knee pads), my hands and fingers hurt and I quietly tell Resa, "The pain, oh the pain!" In which she replies, "You're not that bad!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent, Thank you for the daily writings of inspiration and insight. They are an extension of the many things I learned from your teaching at the Dix Rd. congregation. Oh, how I miss Dix Rd. (Fairgrounds Rd.)! Wayne and I wish we could bring all of you to Virginia.

Lesa G. said...

If it makes you feel better I hurt my back moving the coffee table last week!!! I was in so much pain....had to "hobble" into hospital to have my hand surgery!! Pitiful!!! :)
~Lesa