Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Voices"

I am not trying to be a downer here, please know that. Recently I have been contacted by some that tell me to be "open minded" about what they want to share with me. I asked them if I came across as someone that wasn't? Their reply was, "You are always willing to listen and think but this is an area which you always seem to stand firm on!" I guess that's a kind way of saying, "Nope, you're not always open minded!" Again this morning, I had an email that we must be more willing to "reach out" to those who don't walk in the path "we" walk, break the yoke that divides us and walk into new and different realms of acceptance of those who are behind different walls of teachings. I must say, it troubles my heart.

Then I get another invite from a brother in Christ who is well known telling me about their recent workshop and wondering if I would like the cd's of the classes, especially the classes addressed to the preachers. He shared with me we must be willing to leave the path to embrace those who don't always agree with us or we don't with them. Again, it troubled my heart.

I prayed....fervently asking for wisdom and insight. It makes one think reflect and wonder is this really correct. So many are telling you, be open, cross lines and accept those who believe different than you with the idea of embracing their teachings, being one with them. That's really what is being said. But I prayed and still pray.

Right before my eyes as I read were the words of Jesus: "...for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." (Matt. 7:13) I didn't teach those words, they came from the heart of my Lord. I read a little further: "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'" (Matt. 7:22-23) Was Jesus being "closed minded"? What was He teaching His disciples? Was His words stating to cross behind walls of different teachings and follow others?

My mind shifted to Gal. 2 where Paul stood face to face with one the most beloved and respected apostles, Peter! Peter had been teaching the gospel to the Gentile but when some Jew's came, Peter jumped back to his Jewish roots because of fear. The Jews joined Peter! Even Barnabas, a very close co-worker with Paul sided with Peter. Everyone had joined forces and Paul was all alone! No one was standing with him and he had to stand his ground on the truth stating Peter stood condemned. Paul could not embrace a different teaching (or even mixing teachings) even if everyone else was crossing lines! (See Gal. 1:6-9)

To those who read, I pray I am never a close minded person, only an honest person in heart with the truth of the word. The way is narrow, not broad. That doesn't mean that everything my brethren stand for is correct either. Sometimes our traditions get in the way of the truth! Too many have followed certain traditions calling them from God when they aren't. But there is the truth and that truth from God must be accepted and embraced. We must be honest with Scriptures and the truth revealed. Because someone believes something a little differently, let's not just embrace that difference. Let's put that difference up against the word of the Lord and let it stand on that testing. There are a lot of voices calling but there is one voice to which I (and you) must listen. There is a standard and that standard of truth must be upheld and there is no deviation from it if we are going to be saved in the end. Please think about that!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Brent,

When it comes down to it, would you rather stand before the Lord and say that you were open minded to all sort of teachings and beliefs or would you rather stand before the Lord and say that you followed the Truth?

I have known you for many, many years (sort of makes me wonder how old I am now?) and even to the point of when you first came to Jefferson City. Your focus is on the Christ and what is the Truth, as it should be. Does that make you closed minded? No. It makes you a follower of Christ.

Sifting through the open minded teachings is really not the issue. Properly studying and applying the Word of God is. Christ did not waiver in all that he did. Our example is front and center before us.

I am thankful to the Lord for one, such as yourself, that strives hard to preach and teach the path to the narrow gate.

Jim

Pardee Butler said...

I think there is a difference between being open minded and embracing different teachings. I'm willing to listen to any of my brothers or sisters in Christ in regards to any teaching they might have. If their teaching directly contradicts the divinity, humanity, death, and resurrection of Jesus or Jesus being the only means of salvation then I'd no longer consider them a brother or sister. If it doesn't, I will compare their teaching with God's Word. I think I'd be willing to embrace the brother or sister regardless of whether I think it stacks up or not.

If someone is truly a brother in Christ, it is my understanding that I have to embrace them even if they don't agree with me 100%, and if I'm going to embrace them - I'm going to listen to them, but I don't think I have to be willing to embrace their teaching.