Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Parents Step Forward

Parents...the cry is out for parents. God fearing, Bible reading, daily praying parents. I call on mothers and fathers to examine their lives with the Lord and bring that relationship to their children. I have heard too many over the years state when they were growing up, they were not really taught much about their Creator and heavenly Father. Simply put, they were not taught Scriptures! I hear people speak of 'going to church' when they were younger but rarely do I hear that a mother or father spent time examining, explaining and teaching godly principles to their children. I hear, "Say your prayers" or "Be nice" but what about learning about the Father to whom we pray and live for? The value and greatness of such a God who we call upon and gives thanks to, where is that teaching? Why do we live so differently than those around us? Or do we? Somewhere we have come up with the idea that taking a child to the assemblies is what it is all about. Oh, we need the assemblies and bible classes but we need to understand the deeper things involved, their real purposes and goals.
When my children were growing up, I made mistakes in training them. Sometimes I was over-bearing and sometimes I wasn't always right but there is one thing for certain, I had their spiritual welfare at heart! I applied the word of God to my life so I could apply it to theirs! We don't need parents who are indifferent, having little interest in the eternal things or doing things by habit. Children with such parents will place little value on their eternal destiny and love the world more than the Lord. They learn little on what to value and honor. We need mothers and fathers who know about the Lord, teach about the Lord and show the Lord before the eyes of their children. We don't need parents who run a 'boot camp' environment! Children need to be instructed in the love of Christ, shown mercy and grace and see the value of their soul. They need to be corrected when wrong and shown gratitude when they go beyond what is expected. We need parents who teach their children not to follow the traditions of the world but follow Christ and His teachings.
I know I stay concerned for children. I watch my grandchildren and it stays on my heart for their spiritual well being. I pray for my grandchildren and children each and every day! One thing has become clear: parents, you must do the training and teaching in their first six years of life to set in order the path for the rest of their life! What you place in their hearts early on will be what they become later in life. One day when they set out starting their own homes, they will develop a deeper faith provided you have given them the basis for that faith to deepen. They will develop their personal faith and convictions and much of it will come from the things you pointed them toward and taught them. The church of the future is in the hands of parents today. What are you training your children in? Do they gain spiritual insight or just have some little 'lesson' that is cute and nice without coming to an understanding of the heavenly Father who gave His all for their spiritual well being? Parents...please step forward!

No comments: