Monday, December 8, 2008

"Little Steps"

When my grandson and granddaughter was learning to walk recently, it was something to watch. Little Whitney or Carter would be at our house and I noticed how their mother and father would encourage them to walk on their on. I am an observer of others. Whitney made her steps. Carter made it from one chair to another. I watched the parents of both, looking with glee and pride in their children. Grandmother Resa and grandpa Brent sat there watching with a thrill. I am so thankful to God for Whitney and Carter because they are blessed. They have parents around them that are committed to them. Their parents rejoiced in their success (and they always will)! They counted each step taken on their own. As I watched, my mind shifted for a few moments of wondering how many times my grandchildren had fallen and needed to be helped back up. It was probably a silly thought as I am certain the parents had no clue how many times they had fallen. They don't count the falls. They only wanted to see the steps made forward.
Two thoughts crossed my mind that evening. First, Hebrews 12:1 tells us, implores us to run the race set before us with endurance. We need to lay aside the things that hold us back! We allow too much world, too much influence of other things into our lives that detour us spiritually. We need to run the course the Lord has put each of us on. Secondly, the truth of I Corinthians 13:5 came before my eyes: "[Love] does not take into account a wrong suffered." We have too many who claim to belong to Christ that keep an accurate account of every wrong that someone has done to them. They can recall dates, times and events like they were a CPA with an accountants degree. When people sin, love will confront them with their sin but love keeps no records of that wrong! Those who really care for your eternal well being will gently rebuke you when necessary, but they will never, ever keep an account of your failures to hold a grudge.
I watched Whitney and Carter as they fell time and time again. They were encouraged. What do we do with those around us who seem to fall? Do you ever consider that you too are sinful from time to time? What do we do with ourselves? Looking to the Christ, it should keep us alert and awake to never keep a record. There is One who sees us all for who and what we really are rather than what we think we are or even wish were were. And can you believe it, He won't keep a record of your wrongs if you are honest and humble before Him! Let's learn a lesson...

No comments: