Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"Thanksgiving"

  I'm not one to jump on board with what everyone else is saying or doing! I guess I'm a little cautious and there is a reason for that. John writes: "We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one." (I John 5:19) Right there speaks volumes about being careful when everyone is on board with a phrase or idea because I realize the possibility behind it.
  That leads me to this. Over the thirty plus years of preaching/teaching, I have never allowed a season to dictate what I preach. Those who know me in Jefferson City know that I never preach according to the season. I might make a reference but my lesson is not about the season. I have a hard time letting the season mold me into what needs to preached. I'm not speaking there is anything wrong with it but I just never have done that.
  I personally enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday as my favorite of all. It isn't tied to 'stuff' and doesn't drive people into a state of panic. It simply is a time for family. For some, it can be painful as they have lost a loved one and it reminds them of what use to be. However, let me encourage you, it is a great memory to have that the Lord gave you years with someone. What a life of memories you built and be thankful. Imagine what life would have been like without them? Our memories were given to us for that reason. Dwell on the things that are true and honorable. Dwell on the the pure things and those things that are lovely. The things that are excellent and praise-worthy, dwell on these things. Paul said that in Phil. 4:8. If we will just do this, the God of peace will be with you (Phil 4:9). But in all, let's not be thankful seasonally. That's not the heart of the Lord. Let's be thankful continually because we belong to the Lord! Have a great holiday. See you on Monday! God's blessings.

No comments: