Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Let's Save Our Breath"

I'm not sure if it because where I have grown in my life or if it is just an age thing but I find myself drawing away more and more from controversial issues. I guess the many years have made me a little battle weary in regard to hot topic issues some seem to want to endlessly debate. I've seen it where someone takes a side on a subject, throws out a few verses and the other side chimes in. It isn't long and veins are bulging in the face and neck and God is thrown around like a hot potato. I guess that is a sight to behold but behold, I don't like the sight!
There are too many people (and some are my own brethren) in serious, spiritual decline that will loose their soul. There is too much time spent on things that simply don't matter and we need to learn to let go of our grip on them and let them alone. We need to stop the debating and throwing around things that simply hurt relationships. I take seriously when the apostle Paul speaks to the evangelist Timothy: "But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing they produce quarrels." (II Tim. 2:23) Quarrels, I am afraid, is what is driving too many in Christ Jesus creating such an image for those lost in their sins that the salvation of God simply isn't attractive! No love, no unity but a lot of debating with hurting someones feelings. We are not surrounding ourselves with the gospel of salvation and peace. I am not against good sound Biblical discussions about issues that aren't real clear but to get upset or create division that makes one another look suspicious, that's just not God. Let's rally around the gospel and let the gospel be our salvation and strength. Let's save our breath for cooling our meals!

No comments: