Monday, January 31, 2011

"The Standard"

I had a phone call from a fellow who was seriously ill in the hospital. I never had met him before but his voice seemed rather urgent. Upon arriving he was almost pleading with me to pray for him so I did. I could feel his pulse in his hand beating. After the prayer, I began asking about his life and what brought him to calling me. He revealed something rather interesting. He said, "You are the last of the preachers/pastors I called to come pray for me!" It struck me there had been a line of people he had called. I asked him why everyone? "Because out of all the religion and non-sense in the religious world, I figured calling everyone to come pray for me, one of you surely is in fellowship with the Lord and the Lord would hear your prayer." That day revealed a lot to me. This man, who upon speaking with for a little while, was not in Christ Jesus but he was knowledgeable of God's word. He knew there was a standard of teaching! He knew that fellowship with the Lord is a must for God hears the prayers of a righteous man (Jam. 5:16). He knew that all this religion and teaching out there was not of God even though they used God's word.
There is a standard of teaching from the Lord. I realize many don't believe that. Paul believed there was a standard and just because someone says they believe in the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior does not make that a reality! Paul told the young preacher Timothy to "retain the standard of sound words which you heard from me..." (II Tim. 2:13). The brethren at the church at Rome was praised that they had been "slaves to sin, you became obedient from the the heart to that form of teach to which you were committed." (Rom. 6:17) Things like "that form of teaching" stand out to me. It wasn't a general form but a specific teaching they were committed to. Paul and Timothy both taught the same thing everywhere they went (I Cor. 4:17). You don't see that today.
Our society has quickly become a society where there is no teaching standard. Every thing is mixed together and poured and truth seems to be in the eye of the beholder. Paul was a preacher of the truth and that standard could not be changed. He preached it, taught it and eventually died for it! What about you?

1 comment:

Melissa K, TN said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write on your blog. I thoroughly enjoy your posts, and I read them often. You have a beautiful way of stepped on toes when you need to while leaving a loving impression on the heart. I thank you.