Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Radio Program?"

We have begun our third year into our one minute daily radio program. It's kind of amazing to me. I just recorded my 568th recording! People never will know unless I tell them but it is one of the most difficult things I have found to speak for 56 seconds (4 seconds for the intro) and make a lesson application for a vast listening audience. I record on most Monday mornings and it takes about 2 hours to record 10 one minute spots. To get the timing, editing and all takes a while but it is something that has been good for me. It has taught me to use less wording and get to a point, something we preachers need to learn (or maybe just me)!!
The Lord has blessed this in many ways. People have called and thanked us for the program. I have been offered money to keep it going (which I turned down). I have heard from agnostics, people with broken marriages and shattered lives, evolutionists, atheists, people in drug rehab and various types of counseling and the list goes on as my mind can't remember all. People from our area come to the worship service and it has opened up doors for us. Just this week I had a fellow who is in the Army came by to speak. He was just filled with anger at situations in his life. He said he felt like he would explode and the other night he scared himself. As he was home with his wife and walked into his bedroom, his mind was racing about some situations and suddenly, he ran his fist through the wall. That next day the program was addressing anger from God's word and he heard it. He listens every day according to him but that day, it hit his heart and he said he had to come and talk. As we began talking I was pointing out some answers from the word of God. It was revealed he had never read God's word. The next step was to give him a Bible and I wrote down some verses for him to get started. As he left my office, he asked if he could come back and talk again. I asked if he would like to study to which he replied it would be better than the road he was presently on. He continued to share that for the first time in a long time he felt some relief and found some hope.
We need to always know it is never us. Everything is about God and His power to draw people and transform lives. We are just the disciple, the servant not the power. It makes me think how little things can reap such a result. Too many times we think it is us and take credit for something. Books are written on church growth and how to do it. I just shake my head and remember the word of the Lord as spoken through His apostle Paul: "So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth." Just serve and let's leave whatever God desires in His hands. There is no formula and it's not by our abilites, only God!!!

No comments: