Thursday, June 10, 2010

"Let's Think About Our Stance"

Let me be brief but to the point in this writing. I received an email questioning my teaching, which is fine and I take no offense. I need to expound a little, so please bear with me. In all the talk of marriage/divorce I hear today, too many are speaking for God in things God did not say or they try to twist them into something He did not mean. Some are so hard nosed and unkind in their stance they do more harm than good. I have heard just about every argument and been railed on because of the marriage/divorce issue. Here's the deal...many in the Lord's church teach that when one is divorced/remarried and contact has been made with them to hear the good news, the gospel, they refuse to see it to the end until they follow what they call the Lord's command by leaving their existing marriage and being reconciled to their former mate. In other words, some refuse baptism until this part has been dealt with. (Completely overlooking I Cor. 7:17-20.)
Under the Law, when there was a certificate of divorce, the man was not allowed by God to go back to his former wife (Deut. 24:1-4). If God demanded that under the Law, why are we demanding the opposite under Christ? When Paul speaks in I Cor. 7 about two married divorcing, they must remain single or be reconciled. Paul was addressing two people in Christ and not the world.
In the first century, Paul recognized there were three groups of people in the world and they weren't all accountable on the same level. There was: (1) Jews, under the Law. (2) Gentiles who are without law. (3) Those under the law of Christ. (See I Cor. 9:20-22). Paul reminded the Ephesian Gentile Christian that before they came into Christ, they were: (1) Separated from Christ. (2) They were strangers to the covenants of promise. (3) Had no hope. (4) Without God in this world. (Eph. 2:12) Paul wasn't putting their former lives under the commands of the Lord! They had no part of Israel's citizenship and God's relationship. There have been debates, books written, arguments established, lengthy papers and articles on all this trying to argue points. Let's just be simple and honest with Scripture. Let's keep things in context in which they are spoken, to whom is being addressed and above all not be on a head hunt toward someone. I realize there is false teaching and misapplications. I know there are things misunderstood. I know I was hard nosed and ready to debate years gone by but thankful I realized I could learn how to deal with contexts. When we are talking about making a stance to keep someone from hearing and responding to the gospel because they come from a broken marriage, we better take a step back and be careful in our application. We are dealing with eternity and their souls. We are dealing with God!! Some act like the ONLY sin that the blood of Jesus cannot cleanse is divorce so we make our demands and sometimes use silly displays of illustrations. I realize there are marriages that are wrong and some people give no regard for the teachings of the Lord but I am speaking about those who are in Christ.
Well, I've put my armor back on and as for being brief, well...my apologizes. I just want us to think brethren...THINK! (and be honest with Scripture). Trust the Lord! Accept His word for what it says without running all over trying to make 'arguments' fit our belief. I know I don't want to go back to my earlier years when I knew everything!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope people are reading this!
It's good stuff.

Anonymous said...

So if two in Christ divorce...they either marry each other again or stay single for all of their life?
Wow.

Brent said...

Please read God's word carefully. The only exception to this would be adultery of course. What do you see it saying I Cor. 7:10-11?

Anonymous said...

I see it making me very sad.