Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"Back To Worship"

I've said it before but maybe it is worth repeating. I heard it again while visiting an assembly of the saints. It's called 'individualism worship.' It is very much common place and making its way deeper and deeper into the heart of the assemblies. It becomes a reckless pursuit of "feeling blessed" and has taken center stage in how worship is structured and conducted. I'm not a prude or someone that is old fashioned. I love my Lord. I love His people. I love His church. I love His word. I realize that 'petrified' worship is just as destructive. What seems to be so disturbing is the idea of flexibility and the cost that comes with it.
Recently I had an email from a friend where they assembled and that some had decided that they would have their assemblies on Saturday evenings. By doing it, he felt so blessed! I am not trying to put words in his mouth but what he was telling me was "because I feel so blessed, I will keep doing it!" No regard for the Lord. No respect of His power and majesty. Just "blessed people" doing their thing no matter if it is acceptable or unacceptable. Let's forget the first day of the week as they did after the resurrected Christ. It is all about individualism.
Let's think here: worship, even bad worship (for lack of better terms) does things to the worshiper. That's what many don't see. Biblical worship is the faithful response of the people of God to God and is intended to edify and bless the worshiper BUT the worship is to and about God, not us!!! Our blessings flow as a result, not the cause. God is worshiped as God wants worship. God is praised as God wants praise. It must be acceptable to be accepted. Okay...I've said enough. May God be glorified through our worship and not us!

No comments: