Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Strange & Bizarre 2"

In a previous blog, I had asked if any had strange or unusual events in their lives over the years and would be willing to share with us. I shared a really bizarre event last time. Here is another...
I had started a Bible study with a lady who was longing for the Lord. She had even gone to the point in her search that she wrote a letter to God! We might find that a little strange, but that revealed her earnest longing to find God. I began going to her house with her husband there each week. He was very cutting at her and putting her down. As we would sit and study at their kitchen table, he would come in and join us, only to tell me things about her life and habits. He told me things I didn't need to hear, embarrassing to her and me both.
One day, as he realized her commitment to study and her desire for the truth, I came over as usual. They had a post attached from the ceiling to the floor between the kitchen and living room. On that post, he had hanging in a holster, a 44 magnum gun. As I walked in and sat down, he pulled that gun out of the holster and put it on the kitchen table. His wife came over as usual and we were getting ready to start our study. He sat down across from me without saying a word and proceeded to put bullets into the gun. Suddenly he shared with me how early in his life he had shot a fellow. I shrugged it off and we began. Slowly he reached out for the gun, turned the barrel toward me, laying the gun down on the table. We continued our study. He then reaches out, taking the gun in his hand and cocking the hammer, laying it back down pointed directly at me. Needless to say, I was feeling a bit uncomfortable at this time. He never touched that gun that evening but he did tap it with his fingers from time to time during our study. As I would look at him, he had a hard scowl on his face.
His wife was lead to Christ. It was a few weeks after this that he called me to come out to their house again. They lived about 30 miles from us. Resa had asked me not to go but for some reason I felt I needed to. All the way I prayed. Upon arriving, not knowing what I would face, I walked in. There he was sitting at the table sobbing. He wanted to know what we (his wife and I) had that he didn't. It opened the door to a Bible study and eventually leading him to Christ. It is something I will never forget.

No comments: