Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Revelation" IV

People like to use big words. I am amazed how eloquent some people can put things. Myself, well, I am very simple minded must have things broken down into simple language and I realize I lack in my writings/speaking! Let's take the word "apocalyptic". A big word used a lot by people, thrown here to there but really is simple in meaning. The book of Revelation is "apocalyptic" language. It means nothing more than word pictures to drive home a spiritual truth. For instance, the woman in chapter 17 is described as clothed in purple, scarlet and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls. Across her forehead she was known as the mother of harlots. This kind of language shows the her beauty and ugliness and using this to describe her charm on the rest of the world. She is Rome (17:18) and took in all the nations with her beauty and sinfulness. She has corrupted others. She is shown as drunk with the blood of the saints and the eyewitnesses of Jesus. She loved killing the people of God!
"Apocalyptic" language is also prophetic. It reveals future events and how God was in control of it all. This kind of writing always reveals the sovereign power of God and God is in control even in the face of evil! The one thing we can do is just be patient, take in the vivid picture being described and allow it to explain itself. Daniel is another book that is written in "apocalyptic" language. Daniel 7 begins with the vision and dream Daniel saw. The "apocalyptic" language (pictures to describe a spiritual truth) about 4 great beasts coming up from the sea, each one different. As each is described, the reader is to get the image. After these images, the meaning is given to describe kingdoms and kings. If one starts making up their mind before getting to this point, they will miss the real purpose. Daniel 2 is written the same way.
Do not let the book of Revelation intimidate you or be fearful of it. Read it with an open heart and listen to the descriptions. It will explain itself. The name "Revelation" literally means "to uncover". It is Jesus' revelation, which God gave Him to show to the bond-servants, the things which must soon take place. It was communicated to John by an angel of Jesus. It was meant to be read, heard and heeded. Stop letting people put notions in your mind. Let Jesus "uncover" it! I once sat in a class on Revelation in which the teacher brought 3 commentaries in to help with the class. The teacher would read a few verses, go to one commentary, then another and the third and they all three said something different. The teacher left it up to the class to determine which one to believe. It was difficult to sit in. That can be very confusing. I have had people that disagree with me yet the only thing they seem to offer is what some commentary has to say. I never mean to for anyone to think I know it all. But I will hold to what I read and if I can be directed in the word to something I have misapplied, please help me. I will simply hold to the verses, let them explain themselves and try not read anything into it. Things become simple that way and by all means, I need it simple!

No comments: