Friday, April 25, 2008

Random Thoughts...

If any of you have a suggestion of a Bible teaching or thought you would like to see me address, please post it and I will see what I can do. I am not the brightest bulb in 'the Light', but I will give it my best shot! I use to never like writing but over the last couple of years, I have come to enjoy it. I have been working on a book for several years now and have no clue when I will finish it. It is something I 'piddle' with a little here and a little there. Maybe one day, Lord willing, when I am too old to do anything else, I will finish it. It's title is, "Religious, Yet Spiritually Corrupted". I meet these kind of people often, and to my sadness, many are my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am amazed at the depth of fleshliness of people who profess to be in Christ. Some are so fleshly they cannot recognize it in themselves. They are good at pointing it out in others, but blind to their own fleshly thinking and actions. I realize I am not above being fleshy and I fail in areas of my life. Please never think that I think I am above others. I must depend on the mercy and grace of our Lord in my life. I do have some insight into God for which He has granted to me for some reason and I am grateful. I am not a issue oriented person and do not preach/teach about issues. I want to come to know God! Jesus said eternal life is knowing God (John 17:3) That is the 'issue' we need to focus on. Many, especially preachers, know a lot of Bible verses but do not know God. Knowing verses is not the same as knowing God! I am amazed at how so many do not know how to accurately apply Scripture. While in Nigeria and listening to other preachers from the states, I sat in amazement at some of the lack of understanding of God. They knew the Scriptures but had no clue how to apply them. In fact, I remember sitting in one class listening to a preacher and he would read some Scriptures but turn right around and make applications opposite to what we just read. It didn't take me long to realize he was getting his material from a book. He had no clue what he was saying. Sadly to say, those Nigerian preachers listening to him thought he was great because of his great ability to speak. What was encouraging, and I say this in my blog because I would never say this in front of the public, before leaving Nigeria, the President of the School of Biblical Studies in Jos, said they had never heard such preaching while I was there. I have been invited back to numerous places in Nigeria to preach, but my schedule will not allow at this time. That touched me and I can take no credit. We need to know God and the Scriptures are to teach us to know God and His Christ (John 5:39-42).
That's enough ramblings! Thanks for reading and please, if you see something I say as wrong, please let me know! I will take no offense. I just want to know my Lord!

No comments: