Friday, April 18, 2008

More Blessed To Give...

I grew up in West Texas in a small town of about 2500. It is hard to believe the years have passed by so quickly. I have so many memories, just as many of you do of the years past. My dad owned a tv and appliance store in the town. He could fix just about anything. One thing that really stands out is this: my dad is a giver! He has always been a giver. I can never recall when he was not a giver. He was never wealthy and is living off of his social security today. I remember times when bills would come due and dad did not know where he would get the money, except he knew the Lord would provide. In difficult months, he was still a giver. Financial strains never stopped him from giving! He looked out especially for widows and those less fortunate for their needs. He gave many refrigerators away when they had no means to pay for them. Widows that needed a stove or work on their tv or other appliances, he would give them the stove or do the work for nothing, paying for the parts out of his own pocket. I have heard people make rude comments about my dad in his giving, which I really never understood. One thing I remember, my dad never failed to have available funds to meet his bills! I know it was because the Lord looked out for his needs as he looked out of the needs of others. My dad was not only a giver, but he was honest in every thing he did.

As I reflect upon all this, the giving has been instilled with me. I love to give! I have a much better understanding about giving and my heart wants to give. A dear friend of mine always told me, "You can give without loving but you can't love with out giving!" That is so true. I know many who have no clue how to be a giver. They hoard everything. When things get tight, giving is the last thing they think about. Giving is not part of who they are. Giving is who God is! Some never think about what is the best for others, offering to help by giving. Some are takers! I see so many today that buy beautiful homes, nice cars and spend much for their personal entertainment and yet they rarely give to the need and help of others or think about giving. That is a taker! That makes me sad and it will cost them somewhere in the future. Non-givers pay a high price! They have a concern about their money, if their investments are going to make enough, if they will have enough for retirement, if they will have enough money and the list goes on. It places a burden on their hearts and robs them of the peace and love of God (Heb. 13:5-6). Givers are blessed by the Lord! I pray that I have instilled within the heart of my children to be givers, to trust on His provisions knowing that we are taking nothing with with us and use what we have to the glory and salvation of others. To God I say 'thank you' for giving me such a giving dad!

No comments: