Thursday, April 17, 2008

Put A Lid On It!

They invited a efficiency expert to speak at a large corporation meeting to younger executives. At the end of the session, he ended with these words: "Be sure you use this information well and do not try it at home!" A man in his 30's approached the expert and asked him why he suggested they not use this at home. The efficiency expert stated: "I did a study a few years back of my wife's routine while fixing breakfast. As I watched her, she made a lot of trips to the refrigerator, then to the stove, over to the table, to the cabinets and in most cases carrying one item at a time. So I said to her, 'Honey, why don't you try carrying several things at once? That would make more efficient use of your time!'" The expert finished placing the rest of his papers in his brief case, looking as if the story was over. The young man asked him, "Well, did this save time? Did it work?" The expert looked at him, shaking his head and said, "Actually...it did! It use to take her twenty minutes to get my breakfast. Now I get it myself in seven!"
What a lesson to learn. As I have grown and aged, (hopefully getting wiser), I realize how many times I have tried to offer "constructive" criticism to others. What I was foolish in was not realizing they did not want my "constructive" criticism! Sometimes what I thought was "constructive" criticism was nothing more than my stupid opinion that needed to be kept to myself. You could see redness in their face, lips pressed together and maybe a vein or two pop out on their neck or forehead. We need to learn that just because you think someone needs to be helped with your "constructive" criticism, they may not want your help! Sometimes we want to tell others things they aren't ready to hear. Many times we don't have enough self control or wisdom to know when to speak and when to be quiet. The Lord knows we need to learn to be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger! We need to learn not to give holy things to people that will not appreciate them and recognize that what you are about to say, is it really helpful or just my mouth wanting to run free? I am trying to grow in this!
I want you to understand that there is nothing in this piece that relates in anyway to my wife, Resa. I am not saying this because...well...I am not saying it because...well, I am not saying anything in any fashion about her because she does not need to change! She's perfect!! Why, I wish you could see my bride...no...never mind. I know she reads my blog. I love you dear and if I could offer just one thing of "constructive"...WHAT AM I DOING? I am sweating and looking for the write (right) words. The only piece of advice I could give anyone at this time...PUT A LID ON IT!!!

5 comments:

ran said...

HA! Ha! Very funny! So you've seen that vein of mine a few too many times?? I knew you had great potential when I married you....I just didn't know you were such a slow learner!

Lesa said...

My dear, dear husband commented on the laundry room door not opening (Our laundry "room" is more of a "small closet" btw) because of all the baskets of clothes waiting to be washed for our family of 7... "How can it get this backed up?" ... "We just had it caught up last weekend?" ..
Did I mention we had 7 people in our family??? And our laundry room was a small closet?? I immediately refered him to this wonderfully written blog.... full of wisdom ,insight and from which he could learn MUCH....
And now, he understands.. (Hee! Hee!)

Anonymous said...

Yes dear, I get it, and I put a lid on it! ;)

Brent said...

Amen Dale! You're making progress!!

Anonymous said...

And I find myself doing the laundry tonight. Hmmmmm...