Thursday, October 4, 2012

"Twenty Years"

  It's hard to believe I am in my twentieth year here at Fairgrounds Road (formally Dix Road). That's a lot of staying time. I love the body of Jesus here. People have asked me if folks have grown tired of my preaching/teaching. I simply tell them they are asking the wrong person. I don't know. But what I do know is I want to help, work and honestly try to bring Christ Jesus to His body. It wasn't long ago that I had one come into my office telling me that my time here is past and that there needs to be (in their terms) "new blood in our pulpit." I'm not real sure what "new blood" really describes but I got the message.
  Wouldn't it be wonderful if ever sermon was a 'homerun' and every class was a deep faith building class? It just doesn't happen. We as frail humans are limited. Even in my weaknesses (and yes, the brethren here definitely know my weaknesses for which I'm not ashamed) I hear what God speaks through Isaiah the prophet: "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so will My word be which goes forth from My  mouth; it will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it." (Isa. 55:10-11) It's not about me! It's not about my style of preaching! It's not about any person on this earth. It's about the ways of God and what He wants accomplished. The messenger can be poor in speech, but if the message is the word of God (not some book, some psychology idea, some story) it will work the way God intended it to work! This is God's will, His goal reaching and accomplishing what He wants.
  Years back while holding a meeting at a large congregation in Texas, the preacher there along with one of the elders was rather rude to me. I didn't know why or what I had done to them. Toward the end of the week, I was praying one night before bed asking God what was the purpose of my being there. It was so discouraging. The last night of the meeting, after people had left, I was down front putting my things in my briefcase ready to leave. An older gentleman in his 80's, bent over with a cane, came walking down the isle to me. He spoke softly and said he wanted to wait until everyone left. His eyes fixed on me and he said, "I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I never realized my salvation until now and for the first time in my life, I believe with all my heart that I am going to make it to heaven!" And then it hit..."My word will not return to Me empty accomplishing what I desire!" The man died two weeks after I left. It's not about me (or you)! It's about God, proclaiming His word and we need to remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother! Keep preaching the word. In/out of season. If they get tired of hearing the word in JC, come to Arkansas! The door is always open down here!