Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"I Wish You Would Stay"

  It's one of the most wonderful statements that one could hear from someone you love. "I wish you could stay!" Or maybe "I wish you didn't have to go but could stay longer!" Don't you love hearing that from a family member or dear friend after spending time with them? Doesn't is just make your heart melt, wanting more time? And then we hear those little voices, those little people called children and grandchildren, when we speak it's time to go to bed and they say, "Aw, can't we stay up just a little longer?" They want to be in your presence!
  Jesus prepared for His impending death, His sacrifice on behalf of all of mankind. What a burden He must have had on His heart. With the sacrificing of Himself at hand, He speaks to His disciples telling them: "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." (John 14:2-3) Can you hear what the Lord speaks to His own? I prepare for you...I will receive you so there you can be also.! He speaks that He doesn't want them to ever leave. Jesus doesn't reject people. People reject Jesus and it leaves Him no alternative. But for those of us who love His word, seek His truth and hold to His truth, Jesus wants us to be around. It is rather stunning sometimes to think of the horrific failures we may have had yet He wants us around!
  Jesus' love for us is a redeeming love. It is a love that no matter how we have failed, He hasn't failed nor His sacrifice for us. Jesus' love for us is a transforming love that draws us to Him and changes one into His likeness. Jesus has NO intentions of leaving us but He also has no intention of fellowshiping sin as that's what causes Him pain. But for those who forsake their sin, no matter how bad, who will put their trust in His sacrifice and love by listening to His voice, He wants you around even when you stumble. Sometimes He might need to administer discipline (Heb. 12:5-13) but that's because He wants you around. If we would open our hearts and listen to Him softly say, "I wish you would stay! Don't go!"

No comments: