Monday, April 9, 2012

"Up Close and Personal"

  Recently while speaking at a congregation of lovely Christian brothers and sisters, the preacher afterward came to me and said, "I am so thankful you addressed what you did because if I would have said something like that, some of the brethren would have crucified me!"
  I knew exactly where he is coming from. How is it that someone, an unknown to us, can come to our local congregation, preach/teach about something in the Bible and people are moved by being confronted with God from His word, yet if the local minister speaks against the same, people get upset, mad and fume and start accusing? What is really wrong with us? I have been accused of sending 'sublte' messages at times to certain members when there was nothing more than the word of the Lord being proclaimed. (I will tell you that I will get accused of it for writing about it at this moment!) I'm speaking of preaching the word of the Lord and trying to get people to focus on God and move away from sinful things in our lives. Isn't that what the Lord would want?
  Do we not believe: "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Heb. 4:12)? God's word is living and active! Preaching God's word will do what it is intended to do from God...pierce the depths of people. God knows and is aware of what goes on in my heart! When His word is proclaimed, God is reaching out, trying to help. I can't begin to recount the number of times people say things like: "Do you have a camera set up in our house?" or "Have you be speaking with my mate?" to "You've been spying on us!" They say it jokingly but they realize the word of the Lord is speaking to them to help and they don't see me as their enemy. The instrument of God's message is a frail human but His word is powerful, deep penetrating and exposes the intentions in our hearts.
  I heard this preacher in his sincerity knowing what needed to be said. Even one of the elders came to me afterward and said it was something that needed to be addressed there but if the leadership had said something it would have led to a fight within the body. I shook my head, knowing exactly where they were coming from, saying a brief prayer and thankful the Lord used me in such a way. The words of Jesus come to mind: "However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8) It's nothing personal for anyone. It's about faith and being saved! God, help us all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen my brother! I have never understood why people seem to think someone has them pointed out and never realize it's the Lord talking and change is called for or you won't make it to heaven! Keep on preaching!! My family and I pray for the Lord's work through you.

Anonymous said...

i AGREE WITH THE PERSON IN THE ABOVE STATMENT. I THINK IT IS TERRIBLE THAT OUR CHRISTIAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS WOULD BELIVE THAT THEY ARE BEING SINGLED OUT. BRENT, KEEP ON PREACHING GOD WORD.

Anonymous said...

If people complain when you preach God's word, even if it is directed at someone in a sinful attitude or situation, don't they realize God is speaking? To me it seems like an evil, unbelieving heart! But sin does blind the mind and hearts of people. Keep on preaching...

Anonymous said...

I just want to make one quick observation. If people think they are being sent 'subtle' messages from God's messenger, I sure wouldn't be fighting it, complaining about or taking a bad attitude toward anyone. The Lord is speaking: "You better change your heart before you perish!" It's sad to see our brotherhood from congregation to congregation being held captive by a few unbelievers! Preach it...I encourage you!!!!