Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Cutting A Straight Line"

As my children were growing up, I tried to instill within them to listen to God's word and follow with all their heart. I know many parents would say the same. As I preached over the years teaching them this, today they are all grown. I encourage them now to make certain they continue in the word, not following their father but God being convinced in their own faith from His word. I encourage those that I preach to here to be students of God's word, not fearful of what He says but allowing Scriptures to have the final say in all matters. We won't ever know it all and sometimes we can be wrong in what we think is true but a heart that looks and longs for God's word will always be led into being filled with what is true. Jesus taught those words about hungering and thirsting for righteousness.
Paul taught Timothy: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." (II Tim. 2:15) How many times has that verse been quoted or taught? Quoting the verse and holding to the verse are two different things. "Accurately" is the Greek word 'akribos' which means "to cut a straight line." In other words, by presenting yourself to God as someone true and genuine, you are "to cut a straight line" without taking side roads or different roads that aren't there. It is very difficult sometimes to handle the word of truth accurately. It takes an honest, open heart toward to Lord to do such.
This week alone, with the many phone calls I receive, 3 really stood out to me. All three were from people from different states, none knowing the others and dealing with the same difficulty of trying to handle accurately the word of truth. They were similar in content and the individual calling was struggling in dealing with Christian's that did not handle the truth accurately. One gentleman, a preacher 84 yrs. of age but a heart of gold, was struggling trying to show some younger preachers to stop adding things that just weren't there. I know it can be scary sometimes to have to look at Scriptures open and honestly. Too many have 'canned' beliefs that are just passed on because of a book or someones idea or even a tradition that wasn't handed down by the apostles. I know I have had my share of struggles with certain issues over the years. In each phone call, when trying to keep the word of God for what it was saying, individuals were adding words or thoughts that was not presented from God's word. The individuals these 3 were dealing with kept adding words to verses or thoughts to verses that weren't there or implied. That made it very difficult for faith to be built in anyone.
When we approach God's word or approaching another with God's word, we need to let it be what it says without adding our own commentary of ideas. "It must be because of this..." is an added commentary. God's word means what it says. We must deal with the context to whom it is written, why it is written and let it be. One preachers trap that I have to work on constantly is making sure when preaching/teaching not to give my personal opinion in a matter. It is difficult but I work hard at presenting myself back to God as approved to the best of my ability, avoiding my opinion while trying to allow the Scriptures to uphold themselves. It's work and an on-going struggle but the result is "cutting a straight line" for the hearers and not being accused of manipulating or 'opinionating' my thoughts in the Scriptures. Just listen the next time someone speaks of Scripture and listen closely how they say, "I think" or "I believe" or "It's my personal view" while looking at the Scriptures. "Do not add to His words or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar." (Prov. 30:6)

No comments: