Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"An Agenda"

They came for study. It didn't take me long that they actually came to straighten me out! I can use some straightening out from time to time. The Lord knows how much I need to understand and grow and I realized that is why He sent this man.
As we sat, the gentleman began to question me about where I stood on this issue and that issue. I could see it could get out of hand quickly. I sat and listened mostly. Even with the questions being asked, I was given little opportunity to respond. The Lord was helping me there too! I was glad not to respond. The man became a little more pressing and wanted to know where I stood on a particular subject. He paused this time, waiting for a reply. I looked at him and said, "I stand right where the Scriptures stand!" and gave him the verses. It took him back for just a few seconds and he responded, "And where would that be?" I asked, "You wanted to help me from God's word, I thought you would know what those Scriptures say?" He knew what they said. He was trying to trap me to get me to say something that would lead into conflict. My mind instantly went to Jesus when the Pharisees were questioning Him, trying to trap Him in a statement. I have been through this before. I went silent and listened from that point, offering little and careful with what I did offer. I don't know his real motive but I do know he wasn't there for pure purposes of studying Scripture. He had an agenda.
It is sad when people aren't sincere about God's word. I am not trying to bash. I am saying that when we come together, we need to listen and learn from God's word. Many have an agenda and that agenda is what is foremost on their mind, not a sincere faith in God's word. It creates difficulties between people and it becomes difficult to lead anyone to Christ because we want to press an issue rather than let God tell us what we need to hear so a genuine faith can be built.
I guess today I want us to be careful when speaking with others. Listen to God! Let His word be His word because you might discover that what you think you know, you might be found that you didn't know. That's how false doctrines get started. Have a good day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's very true. I remember what Jesus said "Wise like a snake humble like a dove".Thank you.