Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Is Feeling Part of Faith?"

How is devil is having a 'hay-day' with people! If he can twist us with some temptation or help us put our faith into something that is false, he will make entrance back into our lives. That's what he is trying to do to those in Christ. One of his most devious ways is to get people to believe their feelings and their faith go hand in hand! Sometime back, while in another state, I was asked, "Aren't our feelings a gauge of our faith?" That's what they wanted to believe and they felt really good that day! That's the problem. They wanted to believe it. To feel good about yourself and life and calling that a measuring stick for our faith is playing right into the hand of the devil. What does it mean when difficult days come if that's our gauge? When people have a trusting relationship with the Lord, they will feel pain, disappointment and discouragement. Our trust, our faith in God doesn't exempt us from these feelings at times in our lives. I know many of you have heard preachers or read books that say differently and they slide in a verse here and there, but not in a proper sense. Faith, a real trusting, saving faith takes one to the presence of God during difficulties, holding to Him for a place of refuge and strength.
Here was Habakkuk, preaching to God's people before they are taken into Babylonian captivity. Habakkuk is speaking to God awaiting God's reply. I can almost hear someone coming up to him and asking, "How are you feeling today, Habakkuk?" His reply? "Just awful!" The one asking responds, "But why? This is such a beautiful and wonderful day!" Habakkuk had just heard a word from the Lord and here is his response upon hearing: "I heard and my inward parts trembled, at the sound my lips quivered. Decay entered my bones, and in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress, for the people will arise who will invade us." (Hab. 3:16) I can hear one of our preachers/teachers or members, "Oh, I thought you trusted God!"
Faith is what takes one into the hands of God when things are difficult. Faith is what makes us respond to God with a proper and right attitude when things weigh on us so heavily. Faith is what motivates us to get up and move forward at the bleakest of times. We aren't faithless when we encounter pain. We are faithless when we encounter pain and drown in a self pity, poor me, bad attitudes and depressed state rather than reach to God!
As Jesus went to the cross, His heart was heavy and his fears were intense. But he reached to His Father and responded by faith. We have been called to help one another, to carry others burdens but that burden carrying is to help one deepen their trust in the Lord! A trusting faith doesn't take pain out but it gives one the ability, because of God to rise above what is felt. Just listen to the final words of Habakkuk: "Yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds feet, and makes me walk on my high places." (Hab. 3:18-19) Now that's a saving faith!

No comments: