Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"The Glory of God"

All glory belongs to God. It always has and always will. But we as people do a poor job sometimes in our glorifying God. We love the praise of people, the accolades poured out on us by others and recognition for our accomplishments. Too many, especially preachers, think of themselves in a high minded way and everything depends on their abilities and insight. That's why some try to be so witty in the pulpit.
Years ago, I had written some lessons that I thought were just great. I was sharing them with a friend of mine and pouring out how wonderfully written they were and if people would pay attention, it would change their lives. As I continued speaking so highly of my accomplishment, my friend humbly and quietly spoke: "If they are so great and life changing, why aren't you the Lord?" It hit me between the eyes. I needed to hear that.
Paul, drawing from the prophet Jeremiah, brings into focus for us that glory, all glory belongs to God (I Cor. 1:31/II Cor. 10:1). Jeremiah heralded about the Lord: "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and lot not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness of earth; for I delight in these things." (Jer. 9:23-24)
Too many in the church are bringing glory to themselves, our accomplishments and outreaches. We rob God of what only God possesses in His power, love and righteousness. It is by His own graciousness that we are anything. At our best we are sin defiled! When are we going to learn? It is by His doing that we are in Christ Jesus! We are righteous, holy and a child of God because of His greatness, not ours.
Our lives should be lived simply glorifying the Lord and Him alone. Our works are to result in God being exalted, not ourselves and not the church. The other afternoon as I sat looking out a window with my granddaughter, a group of long stem flowers had grown up before the window. My granddaughter called, "Look grandpa, a butterfly! Isn't it beautiful? Look at it! Look at it!" Here was this large butterfly, with its beauty and short life doing one thing, what God intended for it to do...glorifying the Maker!
"Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing." (Rev. 5:12) It's impossible to glorify God when we show ourselves as something when we are nothing. That's a self deceived person!

No comments: