Monday, March 22, 2010

"Signs"

I was sitting in my vehicle with my granddaughter as we were filling up with gas. She was talking away as any six year old would do, just being her delightful self. She picked up a book and was looking at it and things went silent.
As I was sitting, I began looking around at the establishment. A sign caught my attention flashing beer emblems inviting all to drink. Another sign to the left of that saying, "Drink responsibly." In another window, a multi-colored lit sign said, "Play Lotto!" Below that it said "Win millions." As my eyes continued to look, there was a camel with a cigarette in its mouth puffing away, inviting to come in and buy tobacco products. The camel was made in a way that looked cool. There was a sign on the door that spoke of a high energy drink to "boost your day." Beside that was a sign for buying some pills that would help you get over the "drags." There was a bourbon sign encouraging a smooth and tasty drink to the last drop in a different window. My mind began to become active and God's word spoke loudly, "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (I Pet. 5:8) The majority are not alert to any of the spiritual power that is taking so many down. My heart hurt and I realize I too had been part of all the corruption we are drawn into. I was thankful for being released from it but still the battle and pull is still there in many other ways.
In all my reflections, that little voice spoke up, "Grandpa, I love you!" The timing was wonderful. I looked at my granddaughter, the innocence, the love and care shown and realized that she too would fall into the trap of the devil one day. She would need a Savior to release her from being trapped in sin. I know my eyes teared up thinking about her purity being lost. As we talked for a few more minutes before heading to our destination, all I could think about was "...we are looking for a new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless." (II Pet. 3:13-14)
I long for heaven. I long for the day when I can be in eternity with my Lord. I long for a place where there will be no discussion, no hint and not one bit of unrighteousness. There will be no signs flashing inviting us into the poison of this world that sits in the lap of the devil (I John 5:19). But until that day, we need to have some soberness about what we involve our lives in and spend our efforts and time toward. Just look at the signs!

No comments: