Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Give Me - Make Me"

I'm not real sure where this is headed. It is one of those mornings when my thought process is lacking. (Maybe I have more of those than I really realize!) I tire very easily of all the different writings of those who offer us these "ten-step" or however many steps for curing people trapped in sin. Sin and selfishness go hand in hand and there are no "step cures" to overcoming. I wish people could understand that. What most people write, if one would carefully examine, many times requires things that are extremely difficult. The reason people flee to these writings, programs or books is because they are in a dark state of pity and hurt. They want what many writers call "enablement"! No one denies what needs to be done but the power to do what is needed is lacking and there are no "step" programs to give them the power! The power does not lay within us and our efforts!!
If one would read the struggle of Paul in Romans 7, the man who wanted to do the right thing found himself unable. The good he wanted to do, he did not do but practiced the very evil he hated (Rom. 7:19). Paul realized that this power called sin worked through God's holy commandment and killed him spiritually. That spiritual darkness called sin and death is what everyone gets involved in and they need the real answers on how to overcome and no amount of "self help" or our pulling ourselves together holds the answer.
In reading Luke 15 about the prodigal, as he left the house of his father, he demanded, "give me." (Luke 15:12) As his life took a downward spiral, he realized where true help lay. It wasn't in his power. He came to his senses and asked his father (who represents God) "make me" (Luke 15:19). There was the answer. Both the "give me" and "make me" are attitudes and desires of the heart. But "make me" is an appeal and not a demand! It is asking for a gift, help that only could come from the father.
Paul saw the same thing in Romans 7. He saw his condition as a wretched man, worn and frazzled (that's what the word wretched means) (Rom. 7:24) and in spiritual death it caused him physical anguish. His answer was found in Jesus and Him alone. It was yielding and coming to Jesus on His terms where Paul found Christ to "make him." "By the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove in vain." (I Cor. 15:10)
To the sensitive and contrite of heart, they can approach a heavenly Father, full of compassion, mercy and power yielding to His will. He alone is the ONLY One that can grant power to overcome. In making the request from a weak and sinful person that is awakened by their failures, they aren't looking for some "magic formula of steps" from their own doing, but allowing God to work His transforming power to "make me."

No comments: