Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"An ICU Observation"

While recently sitting in the ICU with a family, I observed something that seemed rather unique to me. The ICU waiting room is, well...unique. I sat and observed the different people there. Each and every one was sitting, waiting on news about the well-being of a loved one. There isn't a lot of empty chit-chat but it seemed the conversations were meaningful.
Some you can tell were tense, waiting anxiously for a report. Questions are asked to one another if they think a loved one will make it. Others just want to speak with one of the health officials just to find some comfort for the moment. As I sat and listened, one man spoke with tears, "I don't know what I am going to do without her. We have been married for 54 years." Those sitting around reached out in silence.
This place is different than another other places in our society. The people that are there are different too. They comfort one another, reaching out trying to do something for the other. No one is rude. There are no race issues. You will find the multi-millionaire has the same level of concern as the one who picks up garbage. Each and everyone there knows that loving someone is what life is all about. You hear some say this really brings home what is most important in life. People are focused and humbled.
It made my mind shift to God and His word. The saved, the church came into focus while I listened to God: "But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another." (I Cor. 12:24-25) What are we missing?

No comments: