Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Sheep Stealing"

I was walking in in the hall of a hospital after visiting a friend. While walking I heard a very faint cry. There was the normal hustling and moving by staff but I slowed down as the crying got a little louder. I came upon a room and there sat a woman, probably mid 50's. She was sitting up in a chair, looking out the window and crying. I decided to walk in and meet her to see if there was anything I could do to help. She quickly gained her composure as I introduced myself. I asked her if there was anything I could do for her. She just found out she had been diagnosed with cancer. Her husband was not there and she took the news hard. I took the opportunity to steer her mind to God's word, to encourage her heart. She said other than her husband, I was the only one that had visited her and couldn't believe as a complete stranger I came in. She had been there for ten days as they were doing all the tests to determine her problems. As we began to speak and I watched her heart lifted, a fellow walks in asking me to come into the hall. I stepped out with him and he told me that he was the Chaplin in the hospital and I had no right to come in trying to "sheep steal." He explained what diocese this lady was from and that her priest had been contacted and it was none of my business. "We just don't allow people like yourself to come in and try to steal away someone elses sheep!" he said in a stern voice. I wanted to say something but kept my tongue. As this Chaplin walked away, I went back in and the lady was thrilled I met her and I told her I would pray for her. She said her husband would not allow me to contact them for some reason I did not understand, so I gave her my number and asked her to contact me. She never did!
As time has passed by, I have often wondered what happened to this lady. I wondered why I was in that position at that time. I tried to show her Jesus. Sometimes people can't hear because their pain and difficulty makes them hear other things. It stays on my mind and heart. I know without Christ what awaits peopel and that's a reality I cannot escape in my thinking. But I can say this, I am thankful that for one brief moment I offered her refreshment and showed her that a complete stranger she didn't know (His name is Jesus) cared for her. The rest leaves me at a loss for words. May God open our eyes to the hurting and needy. They need Jesus!

No comments: