Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Why Are We Here?"

Over the years people have asked me the question: "Why are we here?" I have heard sermons, discussions in Bible studies about this very topic. Some are shallow, some are thought provoking. Then I hear people come up with the thought that God has a purpose/plan for all of us. I am still thinking about that one because He has already explained what His will is for each of us and wants us to understand His will (Eph. 5:17/Col. 4:12/I Thes. 4:3/I Thes. 5:18/I Pet. 2:15). It seems to me if He wants us to understand His will, He would not leave us out there wandering to find His purpose or plan! I do not have a handle on it all and I know I never will, but it seems when we talk about God having a purpose/plan for each of us, people seem endlessly wandering about, looking for His purpose/plan for them with no sense of direction. Some never seem to arrive at anything their whole life! I am not trying to be difficult or condemning. I just want us to think about the statement that God "has a purpose/plan for each of us" and I am not real certain that is God's intention. The will of God, understanding the will of God gives us all direction, purpose and a settling down. He wants us to know His will and reveals it for us. That's why I listed some of the verses above.

Some time back I heard one say that God must be a little vain to want us here to worship and adore Him. The idea that He created us solely for the purpose that we would worship Him really narrows Him. God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit have a holy eternal love and joy filled relationship. It was out of that eternal love and joy that God created us that we might share in the life He possesses. Our purpose and plan that God has for us is to be in this life, loving and joyous relationship He possesses! Read carefully Phil. 2:5-8. There we are given some insight into the very nature of God. Is He worthy of worship? Absolutely! But part of the reason we adore Him, admire Him is not that He is self absorbed as some want to claim but He is bent on giving us His life to the fullest by the sharing of His Son so we can share in His life.

Why are we here? We are here because He loves us and He loves us because of the very nature of His being will not allow anything less! We are created in His image. That should ring in our ears!!! That means in us God wanted us to reflect His character, His activity, His purpose by calling us to be holy, righteous and thankful. He gave us Jesus so we could share in His love and life of holiness!

We are created by God, in His image and we are here because He is life and wanted us, His creation, to share in who and what He stands for. Once we get a glimpse of that, His will becomes our desire. His love overwhelms us and we honor and worship Him for His greatness to allow us to share in His eternal love. Take some time and reflect on this. My mind cannot convey what I am really thinking. Why, I am not sure what I think right now! I am not sure what I am trying to get across. We have the purpose of God for each of us: reflect His character! We have God's plan for each of us: enjoy His life and love while bringing others into that relationship. I know this, God desires us to enjoy His fellowship and relationship! That gives us the real reason to why we are here.

No comments: