Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"A Holy Calling"

  Paul appealed to the young preacher Timothy to join in suffering with him "for the gospel according to the power of God." (II Tim. 1:8) Then he continues reminding Timothy that the gospel that is according to God's power is what saved them (and us) and called us with a holy calling. In all this, Paul speaks that he was appointed a preacher, an apostle and teacher to uphold this. (II Tim. 1:9-11) 
  Paul was defending the seriousness of all this and his position he was called by God. We too need to take seriously our holy calling and salvation. Have you ever thought about your "holy calling"? A behavior and attitude of holiness before God. That's what salvation has brought us: holiness. Peter speaks that saints are to be like the "Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior."  (I Pet. 1:15) I must admit that in my past, I wasn't holy in my behavior and didn't take my calling and salvation seriously which led me to silliness and ignorant behavior. 
  While returning home from our vacation, we stopped at a place to assembly with the saints for worship. That day these brethren had a guest speaker who was well known throughout East Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska or that's what we were told. He was introduced as one who will hold your attention and after you hear him, you will see why he is invited to so many places. The man speaking for God stood up and began...with a joke! That led to a story that ended in a joke. Another funny story came, some funny off the cuff comments, a quote of a Bible verse, a funny statement from the quote of God's holy Scripture and then the lesson began. Never once did he open God's word. He only quoted. Often he would speak of something of our salvation and end his words with, "Do I hear an Amen?" I never heard ONE amen. Finally, after a funny story, he ended with, "Do I hear an amen?" I'm not certain he understood he was asking an 'amen' for a funny story. It seemed to be all a habit without thought. In all, I can see why he holds peoples attention and invited to so many places. He was a comedian that walked over the holy calling of God with jokes. My heart was broke. What was worse is I'm not sure many of the people could see anything wrong. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've gotten too old and have become an old stick in the mud. I just couldn't see the appointed preacher, apostle and teacher Paul flinging out one liners to get the brethren rolling.
  God takes our salvation seriously. His holiness that He called us to is something that shouldn't be common as we would see at a comedy hour. Our salvation is based on the brutal death of the Lord Jesus. He took my (and yours) load of guilt and carried them to the grave. The Lord lived only 33 short years but those years were spent carrying you and me to spare us from eternal consequences of condemnation. We need to strive carrying this gospel by the power of God and that takes a serious and sober minded life. We are called to holiness. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I experience this type of "preaching" every week. People have said amen to the jokes and they laugh and encourage this worthless presentation. Sermons are scripted, read word for word from pages of old and recycled sermons. It is discouraging to me and my family to hear this week after week. There is NO spiritual growth from this type of teaching.

I can no longer allow my children to be subjected to this worthless chatter. I pray that we will find a preacher nearby that will preach The Word as he is so instructed.

I appreciate your blog and your encouragement through the word of God. My family (husband and children) and I listen to your sermons online for encouragement and guidance. Thank you for sticking with the word of God and preaching in such a way that you can realize the awesome Power of God.

If we were just closer to Jeff City all would be well.