Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"Hope In God"

  Wars, injustices and natural disasters are taking place all over the world. It is a sad state our world has become. On the lips of many is the end of time while others use this as prophecy about some cataclysmic event that is soon to take place. The real question is: Is there any hope?
  As Jesus spoke to His own disciples about the impending judgment upon Jerusalem (Matt. 24), one thing He reminded them was there will be wars, rumors of wars and all sort of tribulations. Many of the disciples would lose their lives. Then comes His words: "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved." (Matt. 24:13) And how would they endure? Be ready and alert! That's what they are instructed. Instead of getting caught up in all the events, hold to Jesus! Prepare your heart! Watch over your life! That's what they were told about the impending doom of Jerusalem.
  For us we too need to do the same. Don't get caught up in what you see or hear. Get caught up in the Lord by the renewing of your mind and setting your heart to sober thinking. The Psalmist found himself on the verge of despair and penned these words: "My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?' (Psa. 42:3) Then as the Psalmist struggled, he came to a sober and proper conclusion: "Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence." (Psa. 42:5) HOPE IN GOD! That is the course of the believer!!
  The preacher was finishing his lesson for Sunday and the phone rings. The words came from the caller: "My child died." The hurt and anguish was heard even though there were no more words spoken. "What can I say to him?" thought the preacher. The words came to his mind:
When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor hold within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way, 
He then is all my hope and stay.
On Christ, the Solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
  Where is your hope when wearied? Hurting? Fearful? It's time to take inventory!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brent
I needed that