Monday, January 9, 2012

"God Is Faithful"

  The three greatest words we hear from heaven is: "God is faithful!" (I Cor. 1:9/10:13) What a statement of truth. We have read about the faithfulness of God over and over yet have we ever really thought about it? "If we are faithless, he remains faithful; for He cannot deny Himself." (II Tim. 2:13) The absolute nature of God is "faithfulness." He is always trustworthy in His words, action and nature. Many don't believe that. They look at the hurt and evil in the world and question the faithfulness of God. "If God really cared, why did He allow this to happen?" is a common question by many. No matter what is going on, the fact still remains true: "God is faithful."
  The word "faithful" means "to be reliable, trustworthy and loyal." We use the word "faithful" in a wrong sense many times which causes us to have a distorted view of God and His faithfulness. We call one "faithful" who attends the assemblies. If brethren show up when the doors are open, we say, "They are a faithful member!" If one comes to the assemblies somewhat regular, we whisper, "They are somewhat faithful." When one doesn't come hardly at all, we state, "They are unfaithful." I am not denying the need for assembling with the saints. It is a love shown and a want to express a heart of thanksgiving in worship. It is vital for our up-building and growth. But let's think about this, sitting in a building with other Christian's will no more make you a "faithful Christian" than wallowing in the pig pen will make you a pig! The "religion of attendance" is not something new. Jesus experienced it while He walked among the Jews. The Pharisees strutted about with their chests out because they attended everything expected! Jesus condemned them (Matt. 23).
  "God is faithful" and we were called into His faithfulness through Jesus. Some are "babies" in Christ but they long after their Savior, to follow in His steps while not knowing much except His promises. They stumble and are repentant but they are "faithful". Some are mature and have practiced the word of righteousness in order to discern good and evil (Heb. 5:14). Their goal is to please their Lord. They are "faithful." Some are weak, struggling and seem less important. To Jesus they are most important (I Cor. 12:23-24). We think the most visible work is the best but that's not what God thinks. Those weak members, who are hanging on to their Savior's words, turn with a whole heart when they fail and want to grow. They are "faithful".
  Abraham believed God! David trusted his God! Peter leaned on his Lord! They all failed but they didn't trust in themselves, they relied on the "faithfulness" of God. To be a "faithful" follower means, when I fail, I look to Jesus' blood for my cleansing and get up. When I stumble badly, I look away from myself and to Him who is "faithful" and not drown in myself. When I sin, I confess to Him with an humble heart knowing "He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9) My "faithfulness" is not mine. It is a response from my faith to trust in Him to do as He promised and I carry out His will. Years ago I heard this, and I can't remember where, but it went like this: the legalist trusts in what he does. The liberal trusts in what he doesn't do. The saved trust in God.

1 comment:

Nicole B said...

Very encouraging.