Monday, May 23, 2011

"Is It Me or the Lord?"

It's just plain scary! Sometimes in my reading and studying, things hit me and it scares me. It happened this morning. As I was reading about Paul speaking to the Thessalonians's about their faith in the word of God, accepting the word as from God (I Thes. 2), it struck me: The number of people who listen to what I teach/preach and what are they hearing? My word or the Lord's word? That's a scary thought to me. I always pray it is the Lord's word but is it really?
We as humans like to give our opinion on matters and sometimes our opinions can over-ride all sound judgment. I know I have done that before only to be found a fool! But teaching the word isn't about opinions, is it? In years gone by, 31 yrs. to be exact, a wise man instructed me, "Let God speak for Himself and keep your opinions silent!" I'm not sure how well I have done with that but I try. It catches my ears when I listen to others speak/teach how many times they say, "I think..." or "I believe..." and off they go. For next few moments (sometimes lengthy moments) we get insight to their thought process. Are they right? Sometimes. Are they wrong? Sometimes. But then I reflect on my teachings. Am I wrong? I hope not! Am I right? (I want to say always) but in answering that question is just my opinion!
I look at the many, many people who hear me and yes, it scares me. What are they accepting? The word of God or the word of Brent? Then I reflect how many people are headed to eternity with my teachings/instructions I claim are from the Lord. They will decide and build their faith off of what I teach. Their eternity is drawing nigh and I have instructed and led them. It makes me pause. It makes me reflect. It makes me sit and think making sure that when you teach, what you say for the Lord is from the Lord and not your opinion from the Lord. That's difficult and it brings teaching/preaching to accountability. It makes me more focused and aware knowing that when I speak, the eternal destinies of those listening are at stake. That makes me not have the liberty of saying whatever I think but focusing on the word of the Lord making certain it is Him speaking through me and not me speaking. That's a sobering thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In as much as it is for you to be accountable for what you say and teach, it is also the responsiblity of the hearer to study and seek out what is said in God's word. Actually this applies regardless of the speaker or teacher. Yes, I do go to the Word and review the passages you quote and attempt to put them in the proper context. However it is not an attempt to prove you or anyone else wrong in what they said. It is simply that is is up to me to make sure that what I have read is being properly presented as to what God's word says.

Since it is "my" eternity at stake, I should never be simply accepting of what anyone teaches. I must be diligent and study God's word in order to know.

Paul told Timothy to study and rightly divide the word of God. That applies to both the teacher and the one being tought. Even as a student, we should not inject our conclusions and beliefs into the Word of God.

To step back and examine one's self is the due diligence that all should strive to practice.