Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"I Raised My Children..."

It's one of those mornings when I am struggling knowing what to say. I guess you have them too from time to time? After spending time yesterday dealing with some situations, it left me wondering what is going on.
I spoke with a brother in Christ who shared with me about one of his children, well more of a young adult age, how they have taken off after other ideas and thoughts apart from the word of God. I spoke with another brother who shared with me how some people in the church where he attends aren't interested in Scripture anymore and have little desire to make certain their children understand the things of God. Needless to say, the marriages of these children are already in shambles after a few short years. I had another call from a sincere sister telling me that their young adult child is taking more advice from things they read in the medical profession and articles than what the word of the Lord says. In all these cases, those speaking with me are hurting because of the direction some of their own households and in the church are taking on.
As I ponder these things, it makes me think of my own children who have married and started their own families. I didn't raise them, or at least I don't think I did, to blindly follow teachings and ideas just because others do. I didn't raise them to follow traditions steeped in things handed down unless they are solely founded in God's word. I raised them to look at the word of God, to listen to God's voice for direction. I raised them to love God's people, no matter how weak they are. I raised them to not listen to anyone that would deflect them away from the word of righteousness. I didn't raise them to be legalistic in their thinking but embrace the love and grace of God in truth. I raised them to always seek the truth, no matter how many may try to persuade them to something else. I raised them to always put things taught up against the word of God to see if it is correct and always keep things in the context in which they were written. I raised them that sometimes in our Bible studies, things might be lacking but they can still glean some things from God with a right attitude and a heart of love. I didn't raise them to run off when someone disagrees with them or hurts their feelings but learn to reach out in love no matter what.
Too many seem to be teaching their children NOT to love the word of righteousness and practice it. The result? They never mature spiritually which leads to never being able to discern good and evil in their attitudes and lives (Heb. 5:14). Many have no clue about the mess they are getting their lives into because of the lack of discernment. God is too casual in too many homes and the result is seen in the casual approach in their faith. No seriousness, no sincerity, no real purpose or seeking and their young adult life begins to reflect that. Why I was even told that one young adult told their dad to stop listening to me in my preaching the word and reach out to the world for some help! It doesn't offend me that someone doesn't listen to me but if it is true from God's word, there is some serious heart issues there.
The bottom line...I raised my children, not perfectly, not always the best of instruction from a weak father, but never to lose heart and know the instruction of the Lord and His discipline (Eph. 6:4)! Where are you taking your home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope people are reading carefully what you shared from your experience. I see this way too often how parents lead their children into the world rather than God because the parents have no discernment! Thanks Brent.