Monday, May 17, 2010

"Bluntness"

Paul could write strong and bold words! His personal presence was unimpressive and his speech apparently was lacking (II Cor. 10:10). But Paul was straight forward about things. When there was something that needed correcting, he corrected it! He spent little time with words. He said it!
One of Job's closest friends was blunt in speech. His name was Zophar and he got right to the point with Job. He called Job "on the carpet." He wasn't very delicate and sensitive to Job's situation.
We have been around those who are such and sometimes it makes us a little skiddish! I think sometimes I may be one that is straight forward with people, I don't know. Maybe I make people uneasy to be around me. I pray not because how we see ourselves and how we are actually seen can be two different avenues.
Over the years I have learned that being straight is the best but doing it with the best attitude and kindness is the key. (That's what I pray I do!) It seems some people talk all around a issue without saying anything. They "almost" say something. It wears down the hearer to hear with so many words but it makes us leary to hear words spoken straight. I know there are those who are straight forward and have no idea of how they sound. They do more harm than good. But for those who talk straight to our heart, with words that help us see even though it might have a little sting in it, they do us good!
Thank the Lord for those in your life that can confront problems head on pointing the way to the narrow road. Thank the Lord for those who are quiet but stand firm on the principles of the Lord. They are a stable rock and even though they say little, they speak in the lives and commitments. Above all, "speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ." (Eph. 4:15) Love should be the motivation behind it all and for that, be thankful when someone corrects or tries to help you.

No comments: