Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"About Love"

We have such a shallow understanding of God's love. That will always be! We do not realize everything that is involved in love. Oh, we read I Cor. 13, the love chapter and other Scriptures but do we really grasp hold of His love? Preachers often teach on the 'agape' love, (I am one of those), but defining words still doesn't bring out God's intended desire through His love. Sometimes we have grown so accustomed to definitions and religious chatter, we have grown unimpressed with love. If we would spend a little more time listening to God speak through His word rather than religious chatter, the truths revealed might impact our lives a little more.
The death of Jesus is not just an act of dying. It seems we hear that every single Sunday when one speaks at our communing with the Lord in His supper. People want to dramatize the pain, the suffering, but it goes beyond that. The love of Jesus in His dying was a redeeming death, an atoning and sacrificial death. By me writing this, one will read what I just wrote and think, "I know that!", but do we really? The cross was God's way to man to open his eyes to what God's love is toward us! We must be careful that we do not cheapen the love of God and bring His love down to some "defining words" in the Greek or some dramatic way of dying. We are too 'sugary' in our thoughts on love. That's why more focus should be given to God's word, allowing Him to explain what He means.
I guess what I am driving at is one thing about the love of God. When we start making His love about our happiness and contentment we miss God entirely, which means we miss the purpose of His showing His love. Our happiness is not what God was driving at. He was concerned about our eternal well being and our holiness!!! Too many are using God and His love as a personal delight, a self centered passion that drives us to take from His love driving us to fulfill our selfish ideas and ways! Just look at our approach in worship and daily living. Look at our outreaches that have taken the love of God into some type of "hand out government commodities!" We teach the lost to use God's love for other things than what God wanted. Nice, soft, frilly, give you whatever you want is a love that is completely self consumed. Read the Old Testament about the sacrifices and see what God is driving at. Read why He gave His commandments, His word and see what love was driving at. Look at the mercy and grace that were extended in the days before Christ (and they were there) to see the love God wants. Read carefully I John 4:9-14 and let it speak about the love of God. Love is about righteousness, holiness and truth! That is the very nature of God. Well, I think I may have over-stated what I wanted to convey and I am not sure I understand what I am trying to say, but I do know one thing...the love of God, when properly applied and understood will bring us to our knees and move us in haste toward Him!!

No comments: