Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Worshipping or Worship?"

I read more and more about congregations that go toward the 'contemporary' worship style. Please do not misunderstand, this is not about bashing. This is about worship! The more I hear and witness, it seems we are recklessly pursuing "the feeling of being blessed." What I mean by that is the central element of worship is how worship is structured. Worship becomes designed to bring out emotional responses to make us feel something. That seems to be what so many are looking for. There is also another side and that is the "this is how we have always done things" attitude. That too can be destructive in our worship. Because of the last statement, that is what is leading so many to want to "feel blessed" and being moved by something in worship. I had a fellow preacher tell me that the reason he likes the contemporary style is because he "felt so blessed the first time he was involved, he would keep doing it!" I guess I am left out because I do not pursue a "feeling of blessed." One cannot feel spiritual blessing (Eph. 1:3). They are only in Christ and are ours based on faith, not feeling. (How do I know I have been redeemed? I can't feel it but I believe it because in Christ we have redemption.)
Let me make a quick point and I will end this and hush. I want us to think and be honest with Scripture. Worship (even bad worship) does things to a worshiper. We need to realize that. Biblical, true worship is the faithful response of the people of God to God! Biblical, God centered worship is intended to edify and bless the worshiper but that's not the goal! To make us the goal, what we get out of it, is self worship, not God centered. I know this is touchy with some, but we need to realize in true worship, God is the worshiped, the Majesty, not some moving by our external things! Too many are trying to create an atomosphere which makes that the center and goal. God is the center! God is at the heart! Not some moving "blessed feeling" or some stirring feeling in the heart. Let's be honest and study holy Scripture. True heart worship has God at the center, not some contemporary idea. In fact, why is is called 'contemporary'? What is that saying? God centered or something else? Biblically rich teachings and people that are communing with the Lord they love and adore will lead to heart, God centered worship and there will be no distractions or taking another road to stir something. Maybe we need to ask are we worshiping our worship or really worshiping God? I have to think about that, don't you?

No comments: