Wednesday, September 14, 2016

"Retreat"

  We recently had a congregational retreat. We try to do this every four years for our congregation but as time has moved us forward we have expanded into the lives of families, brothers and sisters from all parts of this nation. It takes two years of planning (which is why we only do this every four years) and physically wears me out. But that can be overcome! The blessings received are beyond the physical. People tell me to get others to help and I do on certain things but I guess as I am, with all my flaws graciously brought into Christ's love, I want to make sure it glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthens us. That's not saying others can't or don't do that. It's just me. Yes, sometimes my humanness gets in the way but I always keep things pointed to the Lord Jesus Christ. I can do better and I will!
  We had 242 people at this years retreat in Colorado at Snow Mountain Ranch. Many have asked about it and others have asked how to go about putting one together. I'm glad people ask but I have no real answers. You just do it with Christ as the center piece! Kevin Lawrence from Gideon, Missouri did our speaking and what an outstanding job he did pointing us toward fellowship with God. It's so encouraging to see humble servants of the Lord just preach/teach simply and plainly. There were other preachers (I believe 8) there from different locations and I can say I love them everyone. Many times preachers want to compete with one another or push their personal agendas or ways. Not one of these servants of God did that. Every man of God was kind and humble. They each pull from God's word to be their guide and not their personal opinion. I was thankful to the Father above for bringing all these men into my life and sharing in this retreat.
  Our next retreat will be in 2020 if the Lord will allow. I am prayerfully considering this process asking for guidance and strength. As I reflect on what we did and accomplished, it was good, very good. Families have time together that they may never have done as a family. Brethren get to be with one another and see each in the level of life. It is wonderful. There is too much world in our lives and not enough life in our lives! Someone asked why we traveled that far. It's simple. If we had something like this local, people would be trying to fit some schedule they had or some work they have on-going into this week. To travel away, completely out of the norm, focusing on life in Christ is center stage without any interference. Jesus would often slip up into the mountains to pray. I see the value! In all things, we need to be gaining a deep understanding of our life in Christ Jesus so we have something greater to share not only in our families but to the lost world around. Refreshing of the soul brings things into greater focus!

No comments: