Friday, April 22, 2016

"What Is Worship?"

  Who is worship for? Us? God? I've heard many try to answer that question with great writings of the pen and search of Scripture. I too have written many things about worship. People have their own ideas but one thing for certain, why aren't people more interested in worship? Preachers rake people over the coals for not coming together and worship which is a little backward to me because in Christ Jesus, there is no condemnation (Rom. 8:1) and condemnation is used to get people to show up. What are we to do? Why don't people seem to enjoy, desire and want to worship?
  I walked into my office after our worship some time back and there was a note scribbled on my desk: "I love you grandpa!" Right there. I know my granddaughter loves me. She didn't have to pen that note but there was something compelling her to put this note on my desk just as a statement of how she felt. 
  A while back I got two pictures from two of my other granddaughters they had drawn. They laid down on a table and had their mother outline their bodies. Afterward they drew in their eyes, fingers and hair stating how much they loved us. They didn't have to send that but it sure was nice to hear. I know they too love me (us). 
  This is not a profound writing today but just a quick point about our worship of God. Our worship with the body of Christ is not something we should be doing out of guilt or 'because the Lord commands it' but it is simply wanting to express our love and affection to the One we love because...we love Him! We are because He is! I'm far from holy but yet He makes me holy because of who He is. I don't do things correct and fall short in many areas yet here He is standing before the Father calling me brother! He intercedes for us. His blood continues to flow every moment. So what can I do? I love Him for what He has done and continues to do and our worship is simply saying what we already know and we want Him to know even though He already knows every thought in my heart. Worship is expressing how we feel and wanting our Father to know. We get hung up on too many "directions" and forget the pure. Just as that note and pictures came to me, with all the flaws in the drawings and handwriting that wasn't pretty, it expressed a great desire from their heart and resulted in a heart-felt honor. That's worship, isn't it?

No comments: