Thursday, September 4, 2014

"The Treasures In the Heart"

  He called himself a "pastor". I had spoken with him in the past and called me "pastor." I reminded him by asking if he even knew what a "pastor" was according to Scripture? As he thought he said, "We've had this discussion before, haven't we?" I gave no response except a smile.
  As he spoke, once in a while he would throw out a word used in a profane slang way. After doing this three or four times, I asked him why he used such words in such a profane way and calling himself as one who preaches. He had no clue what I was talking about. That told me a lot! He seemed to use this slang, profane word so often in his daily life that he didn't realize what he was saying it. It was habit. I pointed out the word. He quickly apologized for such telling me he doesn't know why he does that. I do!
  "If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his own tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless." (Jam. 1:26) 
  He is a member of Christ's body that I was listening to. In conversation with another, he would let a word out that was very profane and kept on talking like it was nothing. He was completely unaware of what he was saying because he used such words in his personal daily life, it was part of his normal speech. In the course of the conversation he was completely unaware how often he used such words.
  "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills the heart."  (Luke 6:45) 
  God's word speaks clearly. Listen to someone's talk. When the tongue cannot be bridled, their religion, no matter what they say, is worthless. When the tongue uses words that are demeaning, crude, off color and profane, their mouth speaks what is in their heart. There needs to be some serious personal examination for such as the heart is evil! What kind of words do you use?

No comments: