Thursday, June 26, 2014

"Every Hair, Every Throb, Every Drop"

  His name was Connell, an Irishman that was sentenced to death at Northampton in the year 1741. There was a minister by the name of Philip Doddridge that tried to helped Connell because Philip believed that Connell  was not guilty of the crime of which he had been convicted. It took a lot of time and money but Philip dug deeply into the case and proved beyond a doubt that Connell was a hundred and twenty miles away when the crime for which he was convicted happened. The sad part was the judgment in the case could not be reversed.
  Before setting out for the gallows, Connell was asked if he had any last requests. Immediately Connell asked as the procession headed to the gallows that they pause in front of Philip Doddridge's home. The request was granted and as the procession passed Philip's house, Connell knelt on the minister's doorstep and expressed a deep gratitude for the man who had tried to save him.
  "Mr. Doddridge, every hair on my head thanks you; every throb of my heart thanks you; every drop of my blood thanks you! You did your best to save me but you could not!", Connell cried out. 
  We too had the sentence of death, but not just any death. A complete separation from God for all eternity. And our death is deserving. We aren't innocent but guilty and our sins prove that. Yet Jesus came and at a great expense and trouble paid our debt taking our place. If we believe this with all our heart don't you want to express your gratitude? Do you find yourself with the words of Connell: "My Lord, My God, every hair of my head thanks you; every throb of my heart thanks you; every drop of my blood thanks you! You SAVED me from death by removing my sins in your death!" How do you really feel about the death of Jesus on your behalf? 

No comments: