Thursday, May 1, 2014

"Preaching in New York"

  What a wonderful week so far in Buffalo, New York. The Lord has caused a growth in the church and you can see it both in the attitudes of the brethren and their numbers. This is my 22nd year for coming here. That's hard to believe but I have witnessed a lot of different things over those years. This area of the country is difficult, not to say others areas aren't. We have different challenges and obstacles in the mid-west and south. Up here, the idea of God has little presence from the communities around. We are use to seeing some sort of religion when you drive in our towns/cities. Up here, there is some but they are far in between. And speak of truth, to the majority there is almost no belief in the standard of truth much less the God as revealed in His Holy Scriptures. When you do see religion, the face of some couple or person is attached to it telling the area we are the power and come hear moving and inspiring messages from a great speaker, man or woman! It made me see no wonder our nation is in the mess it's in! I guess those up here would not understand what I mean and those where I am from probably won't understand what I mean. It looks as if I don't understand what I mean!!! Forgive me of that.
  Many times being here I have had a strange experience of some sort. I realize my time is not done in New York as I still must travel to Jamestown but things have been relatively quiet in regard to experiences up to this point. There have been hearts turned back to the Lord and focusing on Him and His teachings rather than being carried away after our own desires. The brethren here really do show a deep sense of love for one another and the brotherhood. I don't see any little groups/cliques or anyone just hanging with a certain few. They all enjoy each others company and include anyone that steps through those doors. They think that in the south and mid-west the church is vibrant, growing and striving for the faith of the gospel. I want them encouraged but I explain we too have our challenges and struggles of different sorts. Apathy, laziness, taking things for granted and fleshiness just like anywhere else affects us. If it affected the first century church how much more some two thousand years down the road? That's why preaching/teaching is so vital today.
  One more thing I'd like to share and this really tells the story. I spent a little time with a brother who thinks some in the congregation are not properly teaching some Scripture. He asked me about it and shared with me what he sees Scripture teaching. He had a good point but he didn't have it all on as he over-looked some important verses. I just listened. In the end I asked him to look at these verses I jotted down and he said he would. But here is where love came into it. He would not allow his disagreement to 'unbrother' him from the rest. On the stance he was taking, I could see brethren in the mid-west and south having his view and off they would run finding another congregation that would agree with him or a little clique of dissatisfied people. This brother has some options to go elsewhere (driving a distance) but he said we must love one another and keep working, helping where you can until we all get to the goal! He lead the closing prayer and he prayed for what else: unity, love and helping one another grow!! What a blessing! What an attitude! WHAT LOVE! That man is a child of God.

No comments: