Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"What's It Going To Be Like?"

He was a dear friend of mine and we had spent time together talking about the truth of God's word. Our conversations were filled with things we had discovered from Scripture. I stayed at his house on several occasions and shared in some of his personal life others didn't know as he would open up to me. I love his wife and family.
At one point in his life, thinking he was right in doing so not realizing he had made a big mistake in his relationship to the Lord, he spoke to me about where he stood on a certain situation and was not about to budge on his stance. We sat for hours speaking of this, each going to Scripture but in all, I could tell he was troubled, even though he was telling me he was right. One day, he repented, sharing with me how he had been convicted but just couldn't admit it. He repented, taking on the attitude with a humble heart. He repented and found grace and life.
I got to speak with my friend a couple of weeks before he passed away. In our conversation, he waited until all the family left the room and said, "Thank you for showing me Jesus at a crucial time. It saved my soul." We smiled and a few tears were shed. Then he asked, "What do you think it's going to be like?" He knew death was near. I had no words. "What do you think the Lord will look like?" I said, "Whatever love and holiness looks like!" He passed away quietly.
From that conversation, my mind has often pondered the question: "What do you think it's going to be like?" Wow...I don't know. The presence of the Lord I can't grasp. I have nothing to draw from except from examples I see in this world but they won't suffice. You see, this world was put under a curse because of man's sin (Rom. 8:18-25). There can be no comparison of eternity with the Lord and this creation. Eternity is not a creation. It is the dwelling of God. It is the presence of God. Many try to draw out for us that eternity in the presence of God will be filled with streets of gold, pearly gates which they get from the book of Revelation but I'm not sure that is what is being spoken about. I think we have misapplied those verses. It seems too many are trying to make heaven, the presence of God, a place like we would visit with all the riches and luxury surroundings. We do have the presence of God as holy, righteous and pure. I cannot grasp it. I cannot grasp a place where only righteousness dwells. That's the presence of God.
What about you? What do you think it's going to be like? What will the journey be from this life into the next. Have you ever sat with someone that is leaving this life? What do they experience? What do they see? Thank you Lord for loving and saving my soul! I can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace, free of temptation, failure, struggles. Standing before the throne of God knowing he was true and his promise to us kept, even for such undeserving people as we are. That is what I believe it will be like.

Anonymous said...

Home

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure. You got me thinking. It seems we have too many "canned" answers but maybe that's all we can come up with.