Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Context, Context, Context"

Sometimes I just don't understand. It's probably my fault. Does it concern you how those who study the Bible, read the Bible and make applications to something seem to not keep things in context in which they were spoken? I cannot over-stress the importance of context: the one who is speaking, who is being spoken to and what is being spoken about. It is crucial in proper application of Scriptures.
Have you ever had someone say something that you said but took it out of the context about what you were speaking? I know I have! You said what they said you said but you weren't talking about what they used your statement for. It can come out destructive! We see it in our news media all the time. That should alone get our attention about the importance of context!
Recently I had someone sharing something they believed in God's word but in explaining their present standing and belief, they pulled verses out of context. They were making them say what they didn't say and used the verses to support their own personal thought process. That is what has lead to so much confusion today and varied teachings. Paul charged the preacher Timothy to make certain the truth of Scripture was handled accurately (II Tim. 2:15). One can't handle it accurately if they are concerned about presenting themselves before God with some diligence.
Please, let me encourage you, make certain before you come to a conclusion about something you see in Scripture to keep the context pure. After that, make certain there aren't verses speaking opposite of your conclusion because that too shows you have misapplied. I pray I never come across as a 'know it all' because that's not my hearts intention. I just want to teach the importance of handling God's word in the manner the Lord wants us to.

No comments: