Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"They Lived Happily Ever After"

I really enjoy reading books to my grand kids. The other day while reading to them, the book my grandson brought me was one I knew by heart. As we began to read, my granddaughter came over to listen and follow. She would relate different events as we were reading. The ending said..."And they lived happily ever after." My grandson immediately responded, "Read again!" I love endings like that, don't you? "Happily ever after..."
As I shared this with someone, they responded, "Wouldn't it be nice if that were true? Happily ever after is just fairy tales, not real life." Let's think about this. Is it really a "fairy tale?" Just listen carefully: "But according to His promise we are looking for a new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells." (II Pet. 3:13) Is that a fairly tale? A place where there is only righteousness is one of the most grand places I can think of. A place where it is impossible to do anything unrighteous. Unrighteousness brings pain and misery. Where only righteousness dwells eliminates that. Unrighteousness breeds fear and uncertainty. Where only righteousness dwells brings comfort and stability. Unrigtheousness is the result of sin. Where only righteousness dwells has not one hint of sin. My mind can't really grasp that but the Lord says that's what awaits. When one carefully looks at eternity, it's not some fairy tale but we seem to treat it as such. Heaven, as described in the Bible, is being in the presence of God. (You can see this principle used in the opposite manner in II Thes. 1:9-10.) It's not a place of beauty as we seem to make it but it is a place where only righteousness dwells because of the presence of God. I have heard many a Christian speak about death as something dreaded or bad. Recently someone was getting over an illness and I asked them if they were doing better. Their response? "I doing a little better! It's better than the alternative!!" Really? What could be better than a place where only righteousness dwells in the presence of God? What do we really believe?
Jesus secured our place and though we do not know what will happen to us tomorrow, next week or even next year, we have the ending given to us. With all the uncertainties of life, we have one certainty..."and they lived happily ever after." We have His word on that!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Newton what would we do without you

Lesa G. said...

~what a great lesson to dwell upon... One of the best lessons I am continuing to learn is that it's okay not to "have true happieness" here in this world. If we are not blessed with wealth, good health, a "happily ever after" marriage, (if there is such a thing) living without many struggles ..it's ok. In fact that is a blessing! It keeps our focus on the Lord...it teaches contentment and keeps us looking forward to heaven and not so caught up here where everything is "so wonderful" as some people think! So many think feel like they have failed if they don't "have it all" or if they don't have a life that apprears "perfect". Trials can teach us what a TRUE "happily ever after' is ..and it's not found in this world..but as you just described! ~Thanks for the message...and reminding us!

Anonymous said...

We just don't see eternity. This little reminder you gave us opened my eyes to how little I put my daily life in view of eternity. Thank God for giving you the insight to help me.