Thursday, February 12, 2009

"God's Will"

Be careful in your mind set and how you think about God. Too many live their lives believing God has a plan for them. I hear this often from my own brothers and sisters. It makes me wonder where we get this kind of thinking. Some believe and think God has every thing mapped out for our lives. I hear it from the religious world all the time but I do not find it in Scripture. If there is something I have missed, someone please tell me.
God cares about the decisions we make but He does not have our lives mapped out. People make decisions to change jobs and request the will of the Lord. That's good and proper. We need to let God lead us, open doors for us but that is not the same as saying He has plans for our lives. The only plan He has is to bring us home to eternity with Him by demonstrating that through His Son death, burial and resurrection. When we are faced with difficult decisions, many are thinking, "What if God doesn't want me to take that job or go that direction? I don't know what to do!" Abraham was called by God to go to a place he was to receive, not knowing where he was going. He simply went! (Heb. 11:8) Abraham simply trusted and went! Sometimes there is no right or wrong decisions. We simply have to make a choice. We face decisions and it bothers us that the will of God is not plain. We assume too much! Let's simply have our heart set on pleasing the Lord and let it be. Use God's wisdom and discernment to decide but He is not going to strike down a map for you to follow.
Our lives belong to the Lord! Live your life to just simply please Him. That's the simplicity of it! Why not apply: "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." (Col. 3:17) Right there lays our answers. If I change jobs, do it to for His name sake. Seek to please Him by making decisions that are geared to honor Him! It is more along the line of bringing our decisions to show Him what we are deciding, doing it to please Him, honor Him rather than wanting some blueprint or road map to follow. As the Lord forms us more and more into His likeness, we will make wiser and wiser decisions to please Him. Pleasing God, that's our life ambition. "Therefore we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him." (II Cor. 5:9)God cares and is concerned and will always help. Just simply "trust and obey", doing things to His glory and He will take care of the rest!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our eyes are blinded by seeking a plan for our lives from God while all along we are God's plan.

If you want to seek the will of God, it's there for all those that want it. Simply open the Bible and study the Word of God and follow it.

We all want to be special and have a special place with God. Just as the Apostles struggled with who was greater or who would have the better place with Christ in his kingdom, we do the same thing in thinking that God's laid out our lives and has a "special plan" for us.

I was told, as a very young child, by my grandmother this very thing due to a lack of understanding on her part. Yet, the closer I draw my life to being what God wants, and not what I want, I fully understand that what I was taught as a child was incorrect.

Anyway, a special plan for me would not bring glory to God. It's not about me and never should be. It's about glory and worship unto God. My plan is to follow God with all my heart and soul. Sounds kind of simple, and yet it really is.