Wednesday, April 2, 2014

"A Preachers View"

  I must tell you that preaching is one of the most difficult things I have ever done! I haven't always been a so called 'preacher' as I worked in among the world. I have worked in some body-stressing labor but preaching, this has been much different.
  As I travel about getting opportunities to speak for the Lord, preachers amaze me. I have met some very godly men of sincere faith that preach and they do so much good for my heart and faith. They get beat down from cold and calloused brethren but they continue to hold to Jesus for their strength. The congregation benefits from them over-all. I also have met men that have no business preaching. Just listening to them, what drives them, how they don't study and the things they involve themselves in is very alarming. Some of their statements are bold and arrogant. I have had three preachers over the years openly admit they never pray! Dead sermons!! I have often wondered if the local congregation knew what was going on...well, I'll leave it at that. And I too will leave the preachers in the hands of the Lord. The Lord will determine their faithfulness and stewardship!
  I find myself sometimes wondering about the brethren here where I have been honored to preach for almost 21 years. God has blessed His word! I try to be faithful and honest in dealing with His word. Paul knew it would be difficult for the sincere preachers. The inspired apostle spoke about "taking pains" and "being absorbed" in things (I Tim. 4:15). Preachers we called "to be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus." (II Tim. 2:1) We will suffer hardship at times (II Tim. 2:3). Then comes the over-riding thought that "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (II Tim. 3:12) It should be of no surprise that the persecution will come from brethren. It was the 'chosen people' of God that killed Jesus! It was the 'chosen people' of God that pursued Paul and many of those preaching the word of the Lord. It was 'brethren' that tried to kick people out of the church. It was 'brethren' that made things rough within the church and stir revolts. Preaching is no picnic! But there is this drive, this want within that keeps me going. I cannot stop speaking about the good news the Lord has brought to me. Being saved when I was such a wretch means everything. Often I am asked when I plan to retire and if I will retire here. My reply: "No plans to retire! As long as the Lord continues to give me good health, I'll preach!" That might not be good news for some but I must stay the course the Lord has called me. I must honor the Father and I thank Him for giving me such good health and His wonderful salvation! As the Lord allows, I will continue to "preach the word"!

No comments: