Monday, January 4, 2010

"The Snow"

As I sat and watched the snow fall in the early hours of the morning, the beauty of it amazes me. There was a purity about it and the undefiled whiteness. My mind shifted to Psa. 51 when David was appealing to God for forgiveness: "Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." To be clean and "whiter than snow" is an awesome thought that I can not comprehend. It crossed my mind from God's word: "Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool." (Isa. 1:18)
"Whiter than snow" is what my mind grasped hold of. I thought of Jesus: "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." (II Cor. 5:21) He became my sin that I might become the righteousness of God. We stand before God, pure, undefiled because He became my sin! Jesus takes our stains, our dirty, vile and filthy lives and laid it all on Himself. Yes, we are filthy before God on our own! Many can't accept that. God is holy, pure, undefiled and it took a pure and undefiled Son to make us "whiter than snow" before Him.
I continued to watch the snow fall and my thoughts centered around the covenant God made with us through Jesus. A covenant is an agreement, a binding will taken on by God that He will not break. God offers His covenant through Jesus His Son. When one enters Jesus through baptism (Rom. 6), Jesus became our righteousness before God as He became our death because of our sin. Then the covenant took place: "For I will be merciful to their iniquities and I will remember there sins no more." (Heb. 8:12) That's what the covenant of God speaks. Merciful and remember our sins no more are the elements of this covenant. Blemished, defiled and not able to come into the presence of the holy Father but when one is joined together with Jesus in baptism, they are clothed with Christ (Gal. 3:27). The covenant takes effect. My sinfulness is covered by Jesus and my stains are "whiter than snow." What God has cleansed, it is to the utmost and there is no remembrance of our sins in His covenant.
I walked outside and picked up a handful of snow. I stared at it for a brief moment. I could eat it if I so choose because it was undefiled. It struck me that's exactly how God sees me in His covenant. For my sins to be made "white as snow", to never be remembered before God, there was a price to pay. That's love at it's height.
As I walked slowly in the snow, my mind shifted to others around me. I realized no one has to lose their soul eternally! It's not God's choice. People don't have to destroy one another with hate and bitterness. That's not God's choice. People can't even get out of bed on Sunday's to worship and say 'thank you' for the cleansing and covenant. People will be lost because they choose to be lost! The snow is a great reminder!

No comments: