Friday, May 2, 2008

Depressed or Guilty? (part 5)

Man is created in the image of God. We are spiritual beings. God has set standards and when one breaks a standard, guilt sets in and you cannot escape it. Guilt brings shame, regrets, fears, low self esteem and it works on the spirit side of a person. No one may ever know anything you have done, but one's guilt screams out within and creates painful results.

Rom. 2:14-15, we gain some insight about our conscience, which is on our spirit side. The context is comparing the Gentile to the Jew under the Law of Moses. (v.14) The Gentile is trying to keep the things of the Law even though they are not under the Law. What they have done is made the Law their standard to live by. They now have set up a standard of right and wrong within themselves. If one violates a standard they have set up (either Biblically or the way they were raised), something happens within them. (v.15) By writing the standard on their heart, notice what their conscience is doing: It is bringing up a charge against them called guilt! Within each man and woman, there is a tribunal within you called your conscience and your conscience will either accuse or defend you. Your thoughts will either become a defense lawyer or the prosecutor on yourself. When you know you have violated a standard, you cannot escape that and your conscience is telling you what you have done. Have you ever known someone (or maybe yourself) having done something wrong and try to justify why they did it? You are trying to lessen the pain! Guilt is the feeling of shame coupled with regret of having performed some disapproved act. It all takes place on our spiritual side. Sometimes when we have done something we think is horrible, it evokes within us a need for punishment and many will turn on themselves and begin to hate themselves. That's when depression will rear it's ugly head. Depression is hostility turned inward! That's why people become introverted!! We do wrong and know it, our conscience begins crying out within us, shame sets in and shock because we cannot believe we did such a thing and we feel we need to be punished in some way for our failure. That's where the self esteem issue comes in to play. They feel like a low life with little assurance of themselves. It leads some to wanting to destroy their life!

She was 68 years old. She was the wife of an elder. He had spoken with me about his wife that she has panic attacks in stores at certain times and she has been on medication for over twenty years for her depression. You would have never known it because she seemed to be such a lovely lady. He said she was doing well since they found the right dosage and all the new medications have been helpful. One day she shows up at my office. She looks shaky when she arrives. As she sits very meekly and hands folded, she tries to speak and begins to cry. Finally the words come out: "I don't know if my husband has told you anything about me. I have been in depression and have anxiety attacks from time to time over the last 20 years. I want to share something with you I have not told one single person, not my doctor, not even my husband. About 25 years ago, I had an affair. I could not believe I did what I did. I had 4 beautiful children, taught Bible classes and I am well respected in the church. I cannot tell you why I did it, but I did. I have never been able to speak to anyone about it. My husband, children and church family think I am wonderful but I am a horrible person, being tormented with this memory. I have thought of driving my car off some embankment and end my life. If I get off my medicine for a minute, I go into deep depression."

Guilt is a state of being. Her conscience had passed a judgment on her entire being! No matter what anyone else said or thought, she felt worthless! She felt the need to punish herself for what she had done. She had been hiding this fact for 25 years! For whatever reason, she was now ready to admit it and find relief.

What is the solution to our guilt? There is only one: Admitting your guilt in the presence of God! We are spiritual beings. God is spirit (John 4:24)! Guilt is on our spirit side and coming into the presence of God who is spirit, humbly and honestly, we will find real answers and solutions to free the conscience and heart! This is where so many miss it. This lady had lived with this guilt and depression for 25 years. When she got honest, admitted it before the Lord (not me), her problem was solved. Today she is completely off of her medications and has told me she is free! She saw her answers in Christ and by putting her faith in Him, He set her free (Heb. 9:14). Her husband to this day has no clue but he believes it was her medication that eventually evened out her "chemical imbalance"! I can never tell him the real reason. That must come from her. When people believe in something, you cannot dislodge them from that because their faith is in that. That is the reason so many get upset when you try to show them from God's word here is what is really happening. Too many accept the "professionals" of the world for answers. They believe in those professionals and you cannot change their mind. Let's keep looking at God's word to find more answers to guilt and depression. I will continue with an Old Testament example of this and we will see the guilt/depression clearly and the solution of admitting our sins in the presence of God.

No comments: