Friday, March 7, 2008

It's A Wonderful Life!

It was 34 years ago and as a 19 year old, extremely immature young man, that I walked down the isle with Resa. She is beautifu, then and now. Often I have asked how I ended up with a lady like her but no matter how anyone might wonder the same thing, I give thanks to God for bringing her to me. She led me to Christ. She shows me Christ and how to love, sometimes the unlovable (me).
The result of our marriage has been three children, two boys and one daughter. I love my children but I know every parent would say the same about thier children. I have no doubt that my children love me. One thing I have wanted and still want is my children to go to heaven. I am passionate about that. I want to spend eternity with my family. I tell them that often! I don't hear parents speaking on that much today. Most seem more interested in jobs, education or defending the ungodly actions of their children or blaming others for their children's lives rather than teaching them the reality of eternity (even when they are grown).
My children are all married and have brought in some of the most wonderful mates into our family. I have another son, who I highly respect and love. I have two more daughters that bring such joy and kindness into our family that words cannot describe how I feel about them. They all make me proud. I know there will be mistakes and difficulties, but with the grace of God and hearts set on His ways we will make this eternal journey.
But with all the above comes one thing: I miss my children in their youth. I miss that little hand that reaches up and puts their hand in mine. (My grandchildren bring back those memories.) The hand in hand walks with their love and dependence on you. I miss the sitting on a couch and the kids curling up beside me to be close and want to be held. I miss those innocent eyes looking at me with trust deeper than any ocean. I miss the teaching times of showing how things work or what to do. I miss the embracing because of hurts. I miss listening to their questions that pop into those little minds and their simple understanding about God. The Lord was so wise and wonderful when He spoke that children are a gift from God!
The years are gone and now my children reach out to teach me! They try to take care of me and I know the day will come when I might have to rely on them. But for now, I will hold to the memories, rejoice in the Lord on their account and continually give thanks for the wife that was so instrumental in helping me, guiding our children in the right paths of the Lord and loving me. What a wonderful life!

4 comments:

Tawn said...

Nice Billy Bob Picture! We are glad that we have parents like you and Mom. I understand how special time can be with children now that I have one of my own. I am in amazement every day of the little joys Whitney brings to our lives and the innocence in her. That's something I wish wouldn't change, but I know it will. Mom always said she knew you would turn out to be someone good when she married you, I guess she was right. :-) Love you Dad!

DonnaMarie said...

We love your family so much and can see in the two of you, your children and their mates the product of faithfulness to the Lord - in teaching and example.

I sure wish we could hold onto our 'babies' forever, but reality is they grow up. The more they grow, the more often we find ourselves telling them that while school, jobs, etc. have their place of importance in our lives, the only thing that really matters to us is that they go to heaven!

It's nice to have examples of faithful living and raising children to help us grow as parents! :-)

Brent said...

Thanks my lovely daughter. I love you more than you will ever know. You beauty inside and out are truly a blessing. As for me, I have no good within. It is completely and entirely because of the grace of God I am what I am.

Brent said...

Thanks Donna for your encouraging words. You have grown so much in the Lord and we love your family!